Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Valvoline racing sythetic (the new blue oil) in my z6. I was at the performance shop the other day and the guy there told me that I should use something else. I'm running 27 psi with meth / water. He said because I am running so much boost, a semi synthetic would be better to use for less blow by. What do you guys recommend?

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
I like to use olive oil. It's green. It tastes great on everything from salads to grilled meats.

If I use olive oil in my engine and made 400HP (for a split second before the engine blew the )(#*$)(#$ up), does that mean YOU should run it in your engine?

Do the research for yourself. Most synthetics are very similar, at least the ones that come from large oil companies. Your post is pointing to the fact that you really don't have any clue about the basics of oil, and until you learn those, it's hard to point you towards the advanced stuff about how oil does what it does, and then the even more annoying part about trying to figure out WTF to use on your ride.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
what is your power?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Man thats like asking if you should fuck her without a condom. Thats a choice you have to make on your own dude.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
in any turbo car i run i suggest a 40 weight or a 50 weight oil

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
brad penn has low low detergent content. which means it will leave sludge behind much more so than regular oils when used in extreme conditions such as daily driving.

i would recommend using a synthetic oil, they hold up to thermal abuse quite nicely compared to conventional.

most people who run brad penn are drag racers and they run 20w50 which has great thermal protection as well. but 20w50 aint really the most DD friendly option.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My power is around 380 hp. It is my dd. So you think I should switch to 10w 40 or 50 instead of 30? And stick with the valvoline racing synthetic? Yeah, brad penn is what that guy was trying to make me buy. That's why o wanted to ask you guys before I switched.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Blow by will happen with whatever oil you use. The real factor in determining oil type is temperature. Hook up a oil temp gauge to your oil pan and keep tabs on temp after heavy boost. Flash point of conventional is in the mid 200F's where as synthetics will be in the 400F. Make sure you stay below this during spirited driving.

This is very basic advise. There are hundreds (thousands?) of hits in google about oil and everything you will ever want to know. Read and make your own decisions.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Oil selection will have little influence on blow by.

For A DD turbo at your power output you need an oil that will:-

1) Hold up to the higher pressures. This was traditionally done with ZDDP which is a compound that contains both zinc and phosphorus. It has been reduced in modern spec oils so as to preserve catalytic converters, but other additives are now used in the place of ZDDP. They still do not seem quite as good though
2) Have enough detergent to avoid sludge build up. The better full synthetics have a natural detergent action without need for additives.
3) Light enough to start easy on your coldest morning. This of courdse varies according to where you live.
4) Enough buffering agent to stabilise the normal acid build that occurs in oil due to normal blow by. This is often called the TBN
5) Good resistance to exposure to very high heat in the turbo. You don't want an oil that easily turns to carbon when heated. Good full synthetics are especially good for this.

The Mobil 1 10W 40 seems to be a good compromise from the data in the link above.

Racing oils have very low TBNs as they are are designed to be run in engines that will be exposed to high pressure and temperature, but only for a very short time between oil changes and engine tear down for inspection. This is NOT the case for a DD.

The less additive you have in an oil formulation, the more room is left for oil, which of course is the slippery stuff in there, so the correct balance of additives for your application is important.

Although Brad Penn is a very good oil for alcohol fueled race cars, the guy trying to sell it to you for a DD was full of shit. Do not take his advice on anything.

Any of the 10W 40 weight full synthetics Non Racing with a reasonable level of ZDDP and a good TBN will be fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts