Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
96 Civic EX
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should I just stick with recommended 5-30 or should I switch it up to something else with the turbo setup on her?

Also, should I still only fill to recommended spec, or is a slight overfill required at all?

Thanks!:tank:

EDIT:

General Thread Consensus = Rotella T 15w-40

·
Registered
96 Civic EX
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow, 20-50, that's some pretty heavy stuff! Would that possibly bring up my hot idle oil pressure?

·
Registered
96 Civic EX
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And these heavier weights are OK for a stock y8 oil pump?

Jumping to 20-50 seems like a massive jump, I feel better moving to 15-40 first.

Isn't Rotella designed for diesel engines (not that it matters I suppose), I know we use it in all of our Cat equipment at work.

·
Registered
92 civic dx sedan
374 Posts
I don't know about the heavier oil in these motor but on an air cooled motor it helps keep the motor cool and you don't get oil temps as high

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
96 Civic EX
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah 10-30 is sounding like the most logical first jump, lol. I always use Mobil 1 full syn in all of my motors so I like knowing I can get it in 10-30.

·
Registered
838 Posts
And these heavier weights are OK for a stock y8 oil pump?

Jumping to 20-50 seems like a massive jump, I feel better moving to 15-40 first.

Isn't Rotella designed for diesel engines (not that it matters I suppose), I know we use it in all of our Cat equipment at work.
Just doesn't have all the additives in it. And its not really a heavy oil guys its a 40 weight at warm which I will take a heavier oil for a little more bearing film and besides d's don't rev to high to really need a lighter weight oil.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I don't know about the heavier oil in these motor but on an air cooled motor it helps keep the motor cool and you don't get oil temps as high

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Why would lower temps be better for heavier oil?

·
Registered
Black/Green Civic HB
753 Posts
I've been running castrol synth. 10w-30, but since it's warmin up for the summer I added some 50 in to help my warm idle oil pressure.

I would say check your oil pressure and see what you need to do from there!

·
Registered
96 Civic EX
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
371 Posts
after reading alot of oil test i went with the rotella t4 10w-30 i believe, its a synthetic mix diesel oil that has a great zinc count and a few other high temp things that matter the most, even ran it in my car after the turbo with no problems..its about $16 a gallon at wally world

·
Registered
96 Civic EX
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
t4 or t6??

·
Registered
96 Civic EX
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
seems like i should up my weight. been running 5w30 since i brought the car didnt think to change weight once the turbo went on.
What weight are you considering moving to?

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Go find out your turbo brand and see what they recommend

I personally would not recommend thick ass oil

I would use synthetic 5w-30. If you are worried that it will get hot with the turbo and break down, go buy a $30 oil cooler and an ebay 10-20 dollar sandwich adapter

1 - 20 of 58 Posts