Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I'll be sending the car in to get some work done and complete the project for this year. To recap, I have a '93 del Sol with an NA built d16z6 making 156whp. It's running 75.5mm P29 pistons, built head and cam and running up to 7500-8000rpm. I expect to be making a little more power and want to keep the red line up around 7500-8000rpm.

To date I've been using Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 full synthetic oil without any problems. I have an account with them and I've been happy with their products. However, I want to consider alternative options for my application.

The vehicle is technically street legal but other than the occasional excuse to drive a few short kilometers, it's really just driven to the race track and back (road race, open lapping). I'm considering the Amsoil Dominator 5w20 race oil. It's a little more expensive but I believe that comes with piece of mind considering it's intended purpose.

AMSOIL DOMINATOR® 5W-20 Racing Oil

Is this a reasonable option to consider? Is it unnecessary overkill?

Thoughts?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,665 Posts
How often do you plan to service the fluids vs. the price per quart/liter of fluid and a stock filter.

One customer changes the transmission fluid after EVERY race, another uses more $$ fluid and only changes it twice a year.

Customer #1 run Lemons/Champ, like 8 hour race today at Mid Ohio, uses Pennszoil Synchomesh, $16 per race weekend, aka 2 bottles.

Customer #2 might see 90-100 minutes of racing per weekend, 5-6 events per year. changes the fluid mid season and on spring refresh.

I have never worked with anything Amsoil, so cannot comment there.

·
Registered
Del Sol EH6
173 Posts
I think it will be too thin for the crank/rod bearings, I already have some doubts on 5w30. But that's just my experience with some turboed cars.

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
I'd say run what you've got. Your running 32hp over stock, so I don't think you're going to notice much (if any) difference in changing to a different oil.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
honda recommends/allows 5w-20 on 96-00 D motors, and the OBD1 motors arent built to much of a different tolerance.

if you go with 5w-20, I would definitely run an oil cooler of some sort to help it along.

Id say your quality 5w-30 like you mention is more than acceptable. start datalogging pressures if you are able.

·
Premium Member
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
How often do you plan to service the fluids vs. the price per quart/liter of fluid and a stock filter.

One customer changes the transmission fluid after EVERY race, another uses more $$ fluid and only changes it twice a year.

Customer #1 run Lemons/Champ, like 8 hour race today at Mid Ohio, uses Pennszoil Synchomesh, $16 per race weekend, aka 2 bottles.

Customer #2 might see 90-100 minutes of racing per weekend, 5-6 events per year. changes the fluid mid season and on spring refresh.

I have never worked with anything Amsoil, so cannot comment there.
AMSoil MTF is known to cause issues with MFactory helical LSD's. Makes the car behave like the diff is welded.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I decided to stick with what I know has worked so far and that's the Amsoil Signature Series 5w30.

BTW, the car is going in tomorrow for the most recent round of modifications!! Tuning is this Saturday. Lapping event is this Sunday.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,665 Posts
AMSoil MTF is known to cause issues with MFactory helical LSD's. Makes the car behave like the diff is welded.
Torco RTF/MTF blend or Synchrotech blend, GearX, Penn Synchromesh, Driven STF, 10w30, Shockproof Light, all those without any issues from fluid.

I hate Shockproof light because it does cling to everything, but what Jamie wants used in his dog boxes. Such a PITA to clean though.

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
Torco RTF/MTF blend or Synchrotech blend, GearX, Penn Synchromesh, Driven STF, 10w30, Shockproof Light, all those without any issues from fluid.

I hate Shockproof light because it does cling to everything, but what Jamie wants used in his dog boxes. Such a PITA to clean though.
When you say 10W30, is that regular or synthetic? Or is either fine? I've looked for answers, but there are lots of varied opinions.

I run Synchromesh, but still curious.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,665 Posts
Either. One team (reportedly) runs Mobil Full Syn 10w30 in their trans.

We took the pole position, set the fastest race lap, won the national champion race, and set a new track record. It was a good week.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I would monitor temps and pressure, and increase viscosity accordingly.

I would use the best oil available, synthetic for sure. I wouldnt mix and match different oils. This can cause foaming.

·
Registered
Honda Del Sol Si
89 Posts
Non-synthetic 10w30 oil.
Either. One team (reportedly) runs Mobil Full Syn 10w30 in their trans.

You see... Nobody seems to agree when it comes to synthetic or not, in these transmissions. Maybe it's better to err on the safe side and avoid using synthetic motor oil and stick with one of the well known MTF/STF/Synchromesh options.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn, Torco AMS oil?

Private Labels, Not OTS

You get what you pay for.

5w if it freezes.

10-20w if not

40+ for any engine driven worth a damn

5-20 is way to stupid thin IMO. I like the cushin for the pushin..

Not the females, I prefer the starving ethiopian style

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,665 Posts
You see... Nobody seems to agree when it comes to synthetic or not, in these transmissions. Maybe it's better to err on the safe side and avoid using synthetic motor oil and stick with one of the well known MTF/STF/Synchromesh options.
Maybe because it doesn't matter as much as people want it too?

The list of what to avoid is much shorter...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts