Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought an electronic Autometer Oil Temperature Gauge. Rather than tap into the oil pan, i was thinking of screwing in the sending unit right into the drain hole in the oil pan itself, however one of the supplied adapters is just a tad little too big and the other one is way even bigger (3/8" & 1/2" NPT). Anyone know where I can buy the right size adapter (a 2-way from drain hole to sender unit) or perhaps a 3-way adapter that will screw into the drain hole:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea the threads on the oil pan drain hole are in metric. i guess i'll try to figure something out, if not, i can always drill a hole into the oil pan.

just one more question. when hooking up the Oil Gauge, there is a red wire that is supposed to be tapped into the +12 volt ignition wire. Is the ignition wire (on a 2000 Honda Civic EX) the wire with the Black/Yellow wire (IG1) or the solid Yellow wire (IG2)?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
VDO makes a gauge and sender unit that fits into the oil drain plug, but it hangs down about 1.5" so pray you never hit anything.

Autometer = tap the pan, why my 2 1/16" oil temp gauge has never been installed.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
can you drill and tap the stock oil pan bolt, there shoud be alot of meat there...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
why try that, VDO has what is needed.......

Notice though how the bolt comes off the oil pan, it's protected.

Catch a rock, snow drift.....2 liter of pop.....anything and you'll rip the sender off......

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
Ok...why not just 'T' off the stock presure sending unit location?
Yes, I know, the idiot light is stock but, it has to measure the presure somewhere.

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
Ok...why not just 'T' off the stock presure sending unit location?
Yes, I know, the idiot light is stock but, it has to measure the presure somewhere.
temperature being the key word......

more accurate reading in the pool......

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
Ok.
I only brought it up because I've seen it done that way on Air-Cooled VW's
yeah i agree on that, soley because they maintain temps, better than the watercooled.....too many fluctuations with the other....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts