Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I noticed recently that when I rev up my engine, oil smoke starts to come out. At idle there is no smoke at all. I have had the turbo (garrett t3 60) installed for about 8 months now. I checked my oil drain with a clear vinyl tube from home depot and indeed it was backing up due to how and where I installed my drain fitting. I moved the fitting over so that it would be directly under the turbo's drain outlet, and angled it slightly upwards. I rechecked and oil is no longer backing up. I did this yesterday and I have driven 100 miles since. I rechecked tonight and smoke is still coming out of the exhaust when I rev up the engine.

Could I have messed up the piston ring (oil seal) in the turbo from the oil backing up for so long? The turbo was brand new and only has maybe 5000 miles on it. My friend seems to think its valve seals, but it doesn't smoke when I first start up the car. I did a compression test also and compression was 170 ish on all cylinders. I think that might be a tad low Im not sure on the spec. The motor has almost 200,000 miles.

Here is a video of the smoke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcHFz6V8bKA&list=UULJ3_vNRe1ROa2aojByAEPA

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok, so my experience with bad turbo seals were smoke at idle and not so much under boost BC the boost forces the oil back in. You should check your spark plug tubes for traces of oil, maybe your oil is over filled. Also, just to be safe, take off your turbo manifold and look into the exhaust ports to see if there is any trace of oil. I had a bad valve seal once that leaked straight into the exhaust port causing it to smoke similar to this. Btw, does your turbo have any play?

·
Registered
52 Posts
You said that it doesn't smoke when you first start up right? Sounds like a possibility of bad valve seals. Oil is thicker when cold and loosens up when hot therefore loosing it's ability to resist going through seals. When you did your compression test, was the engine hot or cold? 170 does seem a little low, in fact, I bet my vitara build could possibly be equivalent. I believe stock compression should be nearer to 200 psi. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok so I noticed recently that when I rev up my engine, oil smoke starts to come out. At idle there is no smoke at all. I have had the turbo (garrett t3 60) installed for about 8 months now. I checked my oil drain with a clear vinyl tube from home depot and indeed it was backing up due to how and where I installed my drain fitting. I moved the fitting over so that it would be directly under the turbo's drain outlet, and angled it slightly upwards. I rechecked and oil is no longer backing up. I did this yesterday and I have driven 100 miles since. I rechecked tonight and smoke is still coming out of the exhaust when I rev up the engine.

Could I have messed up the piston ring (oil seal) in the turbo from the oil backing up for so long? The turbo was brand new and only has maybe 5000 miles on it. My friend seems to think its valve seals, but it doesn't smoke when I first start up the car. I did a compression test also and compression was 170 ish on all cylinders. I think that might be a tad low Im not sure on the spec. The motor has almost 200,000 miles.

Here is a video of the smoke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcHFz6V8bKA&list=UULJ3_vNRe1ROa2aojByAEPA
beleave it or not a good ole oil change and some lucas oil stabilizer should stop it

·
Registered
47 Posts
You said that it doesn't smoke when you first start up right? Sounds like a possibility of bad valve seals. Oil is thicker when cold and loosens up when hot therefore loosing it's ability to resist going through seals. When you did your compression test, was the engine hot or cold? 170 does seem a little low, in fact, I bet my vitara build could possibly be equivalent. I believe stock compression should be nearer to 200 psi. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
could be a quiescence but my d16y8 is set at 175-180 psi on all cyl, but then his gauge could be a little off too i wouldnt worry about it, but thats me, i mean hell if u have the money go ahead and buy a rebuild kit should be around 300-400$ youll get all seals, rings, seats, ect.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok, lets try something new. Take off one of your charge pipes at the intercooler and stick your finger into the intercooler to see if there's any oil inside. You could have a bad enough piston seal on the cold side leaking oil into the intercooler and blowing into your throttle body under boost conditions. Also, this would cause a lot of oil spray from your blow off valve too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok, lets try something new. Take off one of your charge pipes at the intercooler and stick your finger into the intercooler to see if there's any oil inside. You could have a bad enough piston seal on the cold side leaking oil into the intercooler and blowing into your throttle body under boost conditions. Also, this would cause a lot of oil spray from your blow off valve too.
very true all four pistons could be contributing, if that it so then you must be running molasses for motor oil

·
Registered
52 Posts
very true all four pistons could be contributing, if that it so then you must be running molasses for motor oil
I meant the piston ring-type seals inside the turbo. The oil rings on the pistons could also be bad too, with his motor having 200,000 miles on it and all. I'd say check both.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If it happens at WOT & high rpm, it's probably the turbo's seals but can also be exhaust valve seals. Sometimes the seals have to be replaced after you fix the oil backing up, sometimes you need to replace the seals (not a full rebuild). Blue/black oil smoke is usually from the turbo, whitish oil smoke is usually from the engine. If it happens mostly during engine decel or idle (high vacuum), it's the intake valve seals.

BTW an even 175psi isn't a problem - the tube used for your gauge can add enough volume to make numbers low. You simply want all numbers to be w/in roughly 10psi of each other.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
If it happens at WOT & high rpm, it's probably the turbo's seals but can also be exhaust valve seals. Sometimes the seals have to be replaced after you fix the oil backing up, sometimes you need to replace the seals (not a full rebuild). Blue/black oil smoke is usually from the turbo, whitish oil smoke is usually from the engine. If it happens mostly during engine decel or idle (high vacuum), it's the intake valve seals.

BTW an even 175psi isn't a problem - the tube used for your gauge can add enough volume to make numbers low. You simply want all numbers to be w/in roughly 10psi of each other.
Good info rep'd.

·
Registered
47 Posts
we will figure this shit out lol we got this guys hahaha

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had the oil seals in my old turbo go out and put some oil into the intake tubes. After I replaced the turbo i would still get lots of smoke at high boost till I pulled my intercooler off and drained the oil that had leaked out of the old turbo into it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the oil seals in my old turbo go out and put some oil into the intake tubes. After I replaced the turbo i would still get lots of smoke at high boost till I pulled my intercooler off and drained the oil that had leaked out of the old turbo into it.
Amen to that, its happened before to me and countless others. Shoot, I had a friend with a 1990 supra running an eBay turbo with a kinked oil feed line and after we fixed the feed line, it filled that intercooler up with oil.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Also what kind of pcv system are you running? For the moment I'm still running a stock pcv system with a catch can but under high boost I start blowing a ton of oil smoke (my turbo seals are good ). I'm putting massive pressure in the crank case causing it to blow oil out anywhere it can.

Hopefully today I'll get a Morosso exhaust evacuation setup to fix this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just pull the turbo and install some cheap header. Cap the feed line and return with an an plug.

that's the best thing to do it will rule out the turbo or motor.
I agree with this test. I have seen oil smoke at cold start in my civic. The turbo seals was the problem. You can do this test for go sure. Compression and Leak down test are very useful too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts