Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well i just talked to the guy at the machine shop. My motor is in great shape, my cylinders ony needed a hone, which was good news.

Anyways, the machine shop guy said that there looks to be an oil restrictor missing from the block. There is a hole where it is supposed to be, and the hole where it is supposed to be on mine is empty.

The block is a z6. He said that if it doesnt have the restrrictor, that it may starve the bottom end of oil and deliver the majority of it to the top.

Can anyone help me out on this one. I need to know what is supposed to be in that whole.

sorry, i dont have any pictures and i wont be able to get any up for a few days, but unfortunately, i need an answer ASAP.

thanks

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
hmmm i am not to tech savy but what it sounds like he is speaking of is a knock sensor? but im prolly wrong haha

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so the vtec blocks do not have them? So i have nothing to worry about.

Can anyone posts pics between a vtec and non vtec block that shows a comparison of where the restrictor is supposed to go.

thanks

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
so the vtec blocks do not have them? So i have nothing to worry about.

Can anyone posts pics between a vtec and non vtec block that shows a comparison of where the restrictor is supposed to go.

thanks
a6 block = z6 block

to put the vtec head on the a6, you pull the restrictor out.

top of block, in the center. looks like a plug with a small hole in the center. z6 should just be an open hole

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its on the deck of the non vtec block.
yeah, there is a whole in the deck of mine where i guess a restirctor could go. But what your telling me is that the whole is supposed to be there and be empty?

thanks

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a6 block = z6 block

to put the vtec head on the a6, you pull the restrictor out.

top of block, in the center. looks like a plug with a small hole in the center. z6 should just be an open hole

thanks alot man, that helped out a ton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:TU:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yep IIRC this is because the restictor is actually in the head itself on vtec blocks, will try find a pic to show this and post it up later

Chris ;)

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so basically your so called mechanic is a tard
No, he is not my mechanic, he is the person at the machine shop that honed my cylinders. He has another honda d16 block there and i guess it is a non vtec block because the restricor is in that one. I dont really expect a person who does machine work for all sorts of motors, to know if a vtec block is supposed to have a restrictor.

This is my first build, and i wasnt for sure, so i thought that i would ask.............

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
No, he is not my mechanic, he is the person at the machine shop that honed my cylinders. He has another honda d16 block there and i guess it is a non vtec block because the restricor is in that one. I dont really expect a person who does machine work for all sorts of motors, to know if a vtec block is supposed to have a restrictor.

This is my first build, and i wasnt for sure, so i thought that i would ask.............
well that guy should know not to tell people they need oil restrictors in vtec blocks..imagine what trouble you would have if you believed him and put one in.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
well that guy should know not to tell people they need oil restrictors in vtec blocks..imagine what trouble you would have if you believed him and put one in.
he's just a machinist

he bores cylinders to a certain spec, that doesnt make him the know-all of every motor he touches. if i didnt work with Hondas and saw 2 identical blocks and one was missing a restrictor, i would have thought it neede it as well

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
he's just a machinist

he bores cylinders to a certain spec, that doesnt make him the know-all of every motor he touches. if i didnt work with Hondas and saw 2 identical blocks and one was missing a restrictor, i would have thought it neede it as well
blah blah blah..he gave bad advise to a customer..period

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
just checked my a6 block, the restrictor is missing. should i order one from honda or just leave it whereever it may be?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
just checked my a6 block, the restrictor is missing. should i order one from honda or just leave it whereever it may be?
id get one if you are running a no-tec head. otherwise id think your head would be flooded with oil when the car runs...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts