Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I have a civic coupe EJ1 turbo (D16Z6) and my turbo-charger doesn't have water cooling system.

I'm just wondering in using a Civic AT radiator and use the tranny cooling area of it to refrigerate my engine oil.

What do you think about it? It'll make the water cooling less efficient?

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you can still make good pressure, then go for it.

Lowering the oil temperature will only help the water cooling.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Refrigerate? lol

Does the auto radiator use the coolant to "cool" the oil? or does it have a separate core?
Using the engine coolant limits its effectiveness, so if that is the case I would suggest getting a normal oil cooler and mounting it somewhere where it will get some airflow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The AT aluminium radiator have 2 cores, one for the tranny oil and another one for the water.

My oil pressure is about 5-6bar at 4k rpm.. but it gets down when I'm forcing the car.. the lower temp would help to keep the pressure at better rates but I'm afraid that it would prejudice the water temp using the same part for both cooling systems.

And I'm sorry about my poor english. That's just because I'm from Brazil and don't have ppl enough to practice!!!

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
"Refrigerate" is an incorrect term, a more appropriate term would be "cool"

Have you measured your oil temps? If the temps are within operating range and pressure is still dropping, it may be time for a larger oil pump or smaller restrictor. Actually, how low does the pressure get when pushing the motor?

I've never used the AT cooler; but from what I recall it's low-pressure only so it may be good for cooling oil returning to the pan. Oil going to the turbo would be the same as the engine oil temperature, so if that's high, a separate oil cooler would be necessary(I would not trust the AT cooler, as stated before, because it seems it's designed for low-pressure).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Anybody knows how much pressure these aluminium radiators are able to handle?
And what temp the transmission oil use to be?

The only problem with my oil temp is when I run strong because my turbocharger don't have water cooling and the oil gets too thin, even using 20w50 one.

That would answer the question!!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,228 Posts
go try to piss through a tiny straw and see what happens.

Imagine that same output trying to feed your engine with oil.

It's gonna starve and ruin it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
How hot is your oil getting to where you think you actually need a cooler?
Is your engine over heating?

Im leading up to : you pretty much dont need an oil cooler, unless you want to feel cool. Or unless you are racing your car under boost/full throttle Constantly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts