Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
JDM SiR DC2 Integra
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Ive just bought this Oil Re-location kit and was wondering if there is any difference, any obstruction caused to oil flow trough the lines and via oil filter if the oil relocation kit is fitted in wrong angle or position?

Should I fit it at as close the same height level as OEM fitment and should I angle it the same way or it is doesnt matter how I fit it?

Going to fit it this weekend, and make my life alot easier after that changing oils quick and handy

this is what I have

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Mount it wherever is convenient, and dont kink the lines.

·
Registered
JDM SiR DC2 Integra
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
was just wondering if when engine is shut off after some time does the oil stays locked in full inside of the oil filter or does it drain out of it back to the block... and then when started pumps back up and fulfills?

Am I wrong here?

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
^(@ idealone) What he said. There will be a slight difference due to the lines/height but it won't be enough to matter. I doubt you'll even be able to tell a difference.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
was just wondering if when engine is shut off after some time does the oil stays locked in full inside of the oil filter or does it drain out of it back to the block... and then when started pumps back up and fulfills?

Am I wrong here?
Mount the oil filter threaded end so that the oil filter opening is pointed up. Then the oil won't drain out of the filter back into the block. The oil will drain out of the lines back into the block but that shouldn't be a huge deal. Just don't turn your car on and hold the throttle wide open!

·
Registered
JDM SiR DC2 Integra
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I'll do is I'll try to mount at near same level as OEM or maybe slightly lower, and just as you said threaded side up so oil remains in filter. By having it along at similar height level or a little bit lower then OEM it should keep most of the oil in the lines all the time ,so my concern about lines getting empty is now solved I think.

Thanks!

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
I wouldn't mount it lower, every time you go to change the oil all the oil in the lines will drain out once you pull the filter off. If it's slightly higher than the OEM location all the oil in the lines will drain back into the pan (where it belongs).

My vote would be to mount it 1-2 in vertically higher than the OEM placement.

·
Registered
JDM SiR DC2 Integra
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
good point too... thought myself now it would become even more messy procedure than before replacing oil filter from OEM location... :D
Dead true, I will mount it few inches higher then...

other thought that just came in to my head is - OEM filter at its original location being filled by oil in a matter of seconds when engine is cranked, what about this oil kit - both lines are about 1meter long, they will require extra 300-400ml of oil to fill them up before oil filter capacity, so my oil level would become low on the engine and I think I would get check light... what do you think - should I look for shorter relocation hoses? or could I mount the whole kit lower than OEM level, and just undo the far end from the bracket, rise it abit just before releasing oil filter to let the oil drain out, change the oil filter and lock it back up to its bracket again... that wouldn't be a bad idea too... or what?

even after adding extra oil to engine would make it over the required maximum oil level which could cause too high oil pressure and could begin to leak trough the washer seals etc..

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the length of hose, Vertical rise has more of an effect the horizontal distance. And your oil pump will get oil to the filter in plenty of time.

Mount the relocation kit on the firewall a few inches higher than OEM location (I'd recommend behind the tranny so it's easier to get to) using the provided hoses. You'll be fine!

·
Registered
JDM SiR DC2 Integra
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

even after adding extra oil to engine would make it over the required maximum oil level which could cause too high oil pressure and could begin to leak trough the washer seals etc..
what about this oil level question?
I wouldn't worry about the length of hose, Vertical rise has more of an effect the horizontal distance. And your oil pump will get oil to the filter in plenty of time.

Mount the relocation kit on the firewall a few inches higher than OEM location (I'd recommend behind the tranny so it's easier to get to) using the provided hoses. You'll be fine!
ok but I'm still worried about oil levels after the relocation system gets filled up...

·
Registered
EK1
91 Posts
Can you put up photos after installing it and some reviews ? I'm thinking of putting this onto my D15B4 civic.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Oil pump decides oil pressure, the amount of oil in the oil pan is somewhat (I'm using this term loosely) negligible. As long as the oil is above the pump inlet it's all good! The amount of oil in the lines is going to be negligible.

Miata guys run Oil filter relocater kits all the time and put them at the highest point in their engine bay with much longer lines, I've never heard of any of their motors being starved for oil. Granted, yes I know a BP isn't a D-series but the same general theory rules apply.

·
Registered
JDM SiR DC2 Integra
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you put up photos after installing it and some reviews ? I'm thinking of putting this onto my D15B4 civic.

hi, yeah, I'll make some photos and will review it here, subscribe!

PS. but it will probably be some time after week maybe another weekend as this one - plans have changed, will have very little time and must reinstall all new car security kit/alarm w/central lock and all to my wifes civic...:3dtard:

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Height does not really matter so long as the opening for the filter faces up.

Facing up helps in three ways.

1) The oil does not drain out into the sump with the engine off.

2) You can fill the filter before you fit it so it does not take time to fill before you get oil pressure. If your real fussy you can do similar with the lines by disconnecting the high end and filling them and reconnecting but I don't think it's worth the effort or extra risk of a leak or cross threading.

3) you spill less oil and make less mess when you change oil.

If it where me I would keep the lines as short as possible while allowing them to loop nicely with no pulling as the engine moves on the mounts. Remember the filter will now most likely be mounted to the chassis and will not move with the engine.

Ground clearance, risk of damage and convenience of changing are all important. Being in a good cold airflow path also is a slight fringe benefit if convenient, but not a major consideration.

Maybe it can be mounted to a bracket off the gear box somewhere near the starter?

You should be able to shorten the lines provided, BUT it is a difficult and often painful job if you are not experienced at doing it. Also you run a risk of damaging the braid structure and getting SS fibres and lumps of rubber in the lines.

Best way to cut lines is first, wrap the area with a good cloth backed tape (gaffer tape, duct tape, race tape, 100mph tape or whatever you call it) to contain and restrain the SS waste. An angle grinder or cut off wheel with abrasive blade is best as teeth from traditional saw blades tend to grab and pull fibres.

Refit the end the give the hose a really good flush out before fitting.

If you never did it before I would seek out someone who has to help out. You will probably stab your fingers a few times with the sharp wire ends.

·
Registered
JDM SiR DC2 Integra
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would agree with shorter hoses idea too... but first will see where will I fit it and how short my hoses I want to be, to modify them would never be safe, I'll just probably buy new set for few euros, and work that way. Engine will barely move as I'm getting engine torque damper fitted at the same time so it will eliminate movements from the top end of the motor, but anyway - I know in what risk Im putting lines not being loose/flexible ;)

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
A few times while reading your post I got the feeling you don't fill your filters with oil before installing them, I hope this is not the case?

Most filters, if not all, on the market today have a anti-drain back valve in the filter. What this does is prevent filtered oil from draining back into the sump or pan when the engine is off. So the engine supply line will always have oil in it. Its the filter supply line that may drain back into the sump.

·
Registered
JDM SiR DC2 Integra
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never fill oil filter with oil just because it would all spill out while attaching it to the block and leave engine messy...! I do lubricate the rubber washer before applying the new oil filter, but now as u mention this to me I doubt if aftermarket oil filters that we use so widely have that valve built in to it. You guys in USA are so lucky being able to get OEM stuff so cheap from ACURA/HONDA dealers so easy, as in here the prices are crazy, just say for one OEM oil filter they look for ~25eur/~32USD!!! So there's no other cheaper way out then aftermarket oil filters ~6EUR/~9USD... I suppose could get some shipped from USA to IRL but again shipping isnt cheap, unless I buy a pallet of them it woud work out different/better price...

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I don't know if it's something that followed from the v8's of old American cars, but I have always been told to put oil in the filter not just on the gasket. I never spill any more oil then when removing the dirty filter. If you mount the filter straight up you can fill it with no worries.

As with the anti-drain back valve, I'm sure even in Ireland they have them(even aftermarket).

Oh by the way, Éirinn go Brách!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts