Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so i just got done rebuilding my h22 and i was wondering what some of you guys do after rebuildr motors to prime the oil pump. als is there anything else i should look out for when i get ready to start it up?

also i noticed the thread about using the s2000 filters would this also fit on an h22? thanks alot

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just disconnect your distributor and crank it for 5-10 seconds before starting. If you have an oil pressure gauge just crank until you get pressure.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Heard some people "pack" the oil pump with vasoline...but not sure where and how much it actually use though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Heard some people "pack" the oil pump with vasoline...but not sure where and how much it actually use though.
Mostly done on v8's it's a different pump style than Honda's. The correct terminology for the pump isn't coming to me now. Can someone help me out with this? The vasoline helps that style pump pick up oil. Honda's pump is like an auto trans pump and will suck up the fluid in a few seconds so pull the fuel pump relay, disconect the dist, pull the spark plug wires, what ever floats your boat and crank it for a while.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just disconnect your distributor and crank it for 5-10 seconds before starting. If you have an oil pressure gauge just crank until you get pressure.
I've primed two different cars with electric oil pressure gauge and never got pressure just cranking, I quess this works better with a mechanical gauge.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
You should get enough pressure just from cranking to turn off the oil idiot light, i usually crank it for enough time until that light goes off and then plug everything back in.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
coat the pump gears with white grease lube, this will allow the pump to suck and prime.

Notice I said COAT, not PACK!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
coat the pump gears with white grease lube, this will allow the pump to suck and prime.

Notice I said COAT, not PACK!!!!!!

alright well what can i do if the engine is already in the car? is it possible to open the allen bolt on the back of the block and squirt some white grease down there while turning the crank?

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
Pull the spark plugs, compression at this point is not a good thing.

Pull ecu fuse so the fuel pump won't prime or injectors won't fire.

Crank engine until you have oil pressure on your "direct reading oil pressure gauge"

It could take 30-60 seconds. I know it seems like forever...it will be the longest 30 seconds of your life.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pull the spark plugs, compression at this point is not a good thing.

Pull ecu fuse so the fuel pump won't prime or injectors won't fire.

Crank engine until you have oil pressure on your "direct reading oil pressure gauge"

It could take 30-60 seconds. I know it seems like forever...it will be the longest 30 seconds of your life.
haha well i dont have an oil pressure gauge but would the oil idiot light be good enough? and when you menion compression at this point is not a good thing what do you mean by that?

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
haha well i dont have an oil pressure gauge but would the oil idiot light be good enough? and when you menion compression at this point is not a good thing what do you mean by that?
Oil idiot light simply tells you that the pressure has exceeded 5psi I am using it right now since i do not have a mechanical pressure gauge.

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts

You don't want compression pushing the piston down on the rod, which put pressure on the rod bearing as the crank spins until you have oil pressure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts