Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inner rotor of the oil pump has a flat spot on one side, and two teeth on the other. Does it matter how its oriented on crank? Two teeth on top of crank at TDC?

is this how I should seal the oil pump? I’m using permatex ultra gray. Hondabond is usually hard as a rock, brand new out of the package. I’m not really a fan of it, honesty.

I’m planning on laying a small bead of silicone as shown in the D16 instructions.

is this clean enough?

I’m not planning on greasing or oiling the o-ring that goes onto oil pump. I’m afraid it will mess up the silicone seal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Hondabond is awesome and NOT supposed to be hard as a rock. You have a bad sample, likely from sitting on the shelf too long, or is cold.

Put the tiniest blob of honda bond (I do it with a toothpick) behind the oring at the 12oclock and 6oclock positions inside the groove. This will keep the oring in place, and not be enough to actually distort it.

Reactions: EFB055

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
768 Posts
IMO not oiling the inner lip is a recipe for disaster. That's a good tip to keep the spring retained^, but i would still oil the inner lip because sliding that seal over clean steel is going to be very difficult, and if you don't notice the spring drop over the lip, it'll be a huge mess and a big PITA.

Ive had no problems with ultra grey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hondabond is awesome and NOT supposed to be hard as a rock. You have a bad sample, likely from sitting on the shelf too long, or is cold.

Put the tiniest blob of honda bond (I do it with a toothpick) behind the oring at the 12oclock and 6oclock positions inside the groove. This will keep the oring in place, and not be enough to actually distort it.
I agree, I started having issues with Hondabond when I stopped buying it in store, and started ordering it online. I used to live by a popular Honda Powersports dealer, so their stock of it was regularly rotated. Ordering it online, is hit or miss for me.

Do you use engine oil, or assembly lube on the o-ring?
My concern is oil seaping from the o-ring on install, and mixing with the bond.

I have honda urea grease high-temp I use on everything, maybe I should grease it with that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMO not oiling the inner lip is a recipe for disaster. That's a good tip to keep the spring retained^, but i would still oil the inner lip because sliding that seal over clean steel is going to be very difficult, and if you don't notice the spring drop over the lip, it'll be a huge mess and a big PITA.

Ive had no problems with ultra grey.
Is the oil just to help with install of the seal? If so, I might just use a tiny bit of honda urea grease, or lucas assembly lube.
I just don't want oil seeping from the o-ring, and onto the silicone seal before it cures.
I can easily see myself over oiling that o-ring.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
There is no risk of oil getting into the hondabond or seeping before thigns cure if you do it properly. AKA dry system, and wait for things to cure prior to filling with engine oil.

Rushing things is a recipe for killing quality. and effectiveness.

I use motor oil on the main seal during install and I smear a thin layer of hondabond or other oil rated rtv on both sides of the oil pump seal prior to installation. Never had one leak, even drove another 200k miles on it with no issues in one instance.

Reactions: EFB055

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
768 Posts
Is the oil just to help with install of the seal? If so, I might just use a tiny bit of honda urea grease, or lucas assembly lube.
I just don't want oil seeping from the o-ring, and onto the silicone seal before it cures.
I can easily see myself over oiling that o-ring.
Yep, just to stop the inner seal from gripping the snout as you slide it on and spilling the spring. If you oil it'll slides on easier. Use engine oil.

·
Registered
1994 turbo hatch
64 Posts
I agree, I started having issues with Hondabond when I stopped buying it in store, and started ordering it online. I used to live by a popular Honda Powersports dealer, so their stock of it was regularly rotated. Ordering it online, is hit or miss for me.

Do you use engine oil, or assembly lube on the o-ring?
My concern is oil seaping from the o-ring on install, and mixing with the bond.

I have honda urea grease high-temp I use on everything, maybe I should grease it with that?
the original hi temp hondabond was discontinued. i got some of the new stuff from the stealership and it worked great. actually easier to use than toyota FIPG fsr even tho it’s pretty much the same stuff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts