Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some research and can't realy tell where my issue might be if there is an issue, cold start up oil pressure is ab 70 after driving ab 20 mins or so pressure at idle is ab 5, but what concerns me is driving at high way speed ab 3500 oil pressure is at ab 35 when warm, it does go up with more rpm gets ab 60 or so while at or just above 5500 have no specks in oIL or anything like that
, I did build the engine on the loose side with the std hx series acl race bearings any info would be great stock book says it shoud be around 50 psi at 3k

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Running
.0018 on mains and .0022 on rods running on some 5w30 synthetic orileys brand just to break it in with

·
Registered
339 Posts
What motor and what oil pump? I'm guessing it's a y series since you said 50 over 3000.

My y8 with unknown miles on the pump makes about 70 cold at idle, and 12 when warm. And barely makes 55 wot over 3000rpm when FULLY warm which takes about 15 minutes. I was slightly concerned and switched to 15w40 and and k&n RSX filter and it doesn't make a difference.

What gauge are you using? Maybe try to get your hands on a mechanic gauge to compare.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
The oil pressures doesn't seem too bad. How many miles on that motor?

My built block with rod & mains all at .002 had a 8 psi hot idle, 80-85 psi cold idle, and a linear hot psi increase upon throttle input. Was a ported/shimmed OEM Z6 oil pump with .0035 p-t-w clearances.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a fresh z6 build custom i beams and vitars, has 300 miles on it, it is hot as f*** out also, it's a melling high volume pump but idk im going to try thicker oil and see where that goes but time will tell if it's a bearing but it climbs with more rpm like it should tops out ab 60 65 but just crusing at ab 3000 a little low for my likings but guess I should have built a tighter engine

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,942 Posts
If it makes you feel better, "they" say loose is fast. I run .002"ish mains with 15w-40 and see about 15 PSI at idle when fully warmed up.

It's really not a big deal, lots of guys run with those clearances/pressure and make big numbers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that's the main reason for better power goals, what does your set up see at 3k rpm oil pressure wise?

the oil was on sale with filter for like 20 bucks once I hit 500 miles I'll switch to 15 40 with a moble 1 filter

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
my d16y7 is quieter with the AP1 S2K big canister form honda parts desk.

whenever I use an STP or Bosch small canister during oil change specials, my engine is louder but eats less oil (worn valve stem seals and guides)

Im sure there are pressure improvements with the bigger filter. I sometimes have to use over 4qts during an oil change with the big filters versus the normal small cans that are fine with under 4qts overall all the time

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,942 Posts
Yeah that's the main reason for better power goals, what does your set up see at 3k rpm oil pressure wise?
Running with 15w-40 and .002" mains, I see 60 PSI at a cold idle. After driving and getting it completely warmed up, I see around 13-15 PSI at idle and near 60PSI at around 3K RPM

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
time for some rotella, thats all ive ever ran in my motors, never had a single issue with oiling on a ported y8 pump and .0018-.0022 rods/mains. in fact im using it in my turbo ls1 now as well, and its working fantastic.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
Wow at the low oil pressure numbers...

My tired D16A6 should last forever!

5w30, 2500 rpm, 70 psi hot....

90 psi cold start

20-25 psi hot idle, you can tell when the oil is needing changed by the lower hot idle psi.

·
Registered
339 Posts
my d16y7 is quieter with the AP1 S2K big canister form honda parts desk.

whenever I use an STP or Bosch small canister during oil change specials, my engine is louder but eats less oil (worn valve stem seals and guides)

Im sure there are pressure improvements with the bigger filter. I sometimes have to use over 4qts during an oil change with the big filters versus the normal small cans that are fine with under 4qts overall all the time
Son-of-a-bitch! I did the exact opposite and put a small filter on. Well I know what I'm doing this weekend.

On a side note, according to Shop Key the d16z6 is rated at 12 psi idle and a MINIMUM of 64psi at 3000 rpm. While the d16y8 is rated at 10 psi idle and 50 psi at 3,000 rpm. Sadly there is no listing for the A6, but I would think it's the same as the z6.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
What Guage are you getting these numbers from because someone went over this some time in the last year, most aftermarket gauges are not accurate enough to trust.

My turbo y8 used to have about 20psi warm idle but now it hits zero quite often, thing is I have seen the needle move 10-20psi at a constant rpm on the freeway so I don't believe the gauge

1 - 17 of 17 Posts