Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed out the oil pan on my d15 because the drain bolt was stripped. I acquired a z6 pan with pick up but decided not to use the z6 pickup because it was somewhat bent up. I noticed the pick up on my b7 block were exactly the same. both stamped with 8 on them and both the same height so I figure ill reuse my pickup with the new z6 pan. Now I go to start it the oil pressure light is flickering on and off it mostly will stay on but does a little dance sometimes only had it running for a second cuz I got worried.

Also to note the kid that sold me the pan said he threw a rod and there was a small hole in the drain baffle didnt think anything of it until now im guessing I gotta take it off and get another pan.....

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Did you clean the pan?

EDIT: BTW both the B7 and Z6 use the same pan/pick up 11200-P08-020/15220-P08-305

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information on the pan/pickup I figured they have to be the same both the pans looked identical also. I cleaned the shit out of the pan and let it soak in dish detergent for two days all metal shavings and everything were out of it but is the hole in the baffle whats causing the light to come on? Thats all I can think of now

·
Registered
477 Posts
remove the Oil pressure sensor and inspect it

It sounds like you have the correct oil pan, pick up? My first thought was you matched up the wrong pick up and pan but you should be good to go.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? Hard to tell from just a dummy light :)

Post some pics of the hole you speak of on the baffle

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Yea you need a oil psi gauge to read the pressure. It could just be the oem oil unit going out or lose wire.

And the whole shouldn't matter since the oil is pick up from the bottom inch of the pan. Of anything it would let the oil drain back to the bottom faster.

·
Registered
97 ex coupe
67 Posts
did u remove the pickup off your engine? if you did is it posible the seal from pickup to pump is not sealing and thus not supply sufficient oil to pump to make pressure.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes but the problem only suddenly occured when I changed out the pan and pick up so thats an odd coincidence the oil pressure sensor goes out the same time?

I did remove the pick up only to realize ill use it again and I reused the gasket for the Oil pick up but I cant see how that would make such a difference in oil PSI?? I dont have a gauge if I have to rent one I have to rent one but I need my car back asap if the hole in the baffle isnt really a problem what is the baffle for anyways?? I figured that could be the only reason but maybe it is just getting a funky reading because it would flicker on and off. Is it safe to drive to work tomorrow in my car? Its full of oil and it has to be pumping??

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes but the problem only suddenly occured when I changed out the pan and pick up so thats an odd coincidence the oil pressure sensor goes out the same time?

I did remove the pick up only to realize ill use it again and I reused the gasket for the Oil pick up but I cant see how that would make such a difference in oil PSI?? I dont have a gauge if I have to rent one I have to rent one but I need my car back asap if the hole in the baffle isnt really a problem what is the baffle for anyways?? I figured that could be the only reason but maybe it is just getting a funky reading because it would flicker on and off. Is it safe to drive to work tomorrow in my car? Its full of oil and it has to be pumping??
Drop the pan, remove the pick up, install new gasket throw it back together and see if it goes away.. seems like the pick up might have a small leak that is leading to low pressure.

I like the way you think.. I highly doubt the sensor went out at the same time you installed your pan and pick up. I think something may have been over looked when it went back together?

If it was my car i would not drive it tell it get's sorted out, it would suck to blow the motor from a faulty gasket. I would at least drop the pan and inspect everything.. takes 10 min

·
Registered
477 Posts
15220-p08-305 z6 and b7 have the same pick up so I know that is not your issue.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya ill just drop it again... Check out shit and replace that gasket I guess. But no need for a new pan probably then??? I just dont have time to get to the junkyard dropping the pan is not a problem

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just went ahead and started it again and now the light is mainly staying off but was on for quite a while when first startup. What is giving the ECU such weird readings the gasket or hole in oil pan baffle??

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Just went ahead and started it again and now the light is mainly staying off but was on for quite a while when first startup. What is giving the ECU such weird readings the gasket or hole in oil pan baffle??
The oil light has nothing to do with the ecu. It's a simple pressure switch. It turns on if the pressure is under 5psi.

And if that gasket is messed up it will leak.
Think of drinking g out of a straw with a hole in the side. You might be able to get some soda but the pressure just isn't there because you have a hole.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought it was around 5 psi thank you for confirming thats dangerously low.

Didnt know it was just a pressure switch thanks for clearing that up I will drop the pan and just replace the sump gasket tomorrow then.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yea its just a dummy light. Unscrew the sensor and make sure nothing it blocking it.

I highly doubt its blocked but you never know. it could be a piece of alum. or something stuck in front of it causing a low reading?

what does the motor sound like when you cold start it.. is it loud like it has low oil pressure??

take a video of the motor starting up I want to hear it

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would invest in a oil pressure gauge so you know what psi the motor is building. If you don't have one you are relying on just that stock dummy light.. When that light comes on and stays on the damage is being done.

Check the plug in on your oil pressure sensor and make sure its tight and the sensor is not leaking around the threads. *I like using pipe dope to seal stuff like that*

Before my oil sandwich plate was installed i used brass fittings and one of them was leaking a bit and the oil pressure dummy light would flicker when I started the motor.. but i sense installed the sammich plate and it never flickers anymore.

I never worried about it flickering because i have an oil pressure gauge...

let us know what you come up with

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds completely fine on startup but it probably would at idle for a while until it really gets revved up thats why I shut it off. still havent had time to do it my plan is to just change out the pickup gasket and see what happens thanks for the feedback turboD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts