Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 civic with d1
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a oil pressure sending unit for my gauge and its electrical. wondering if i could hook it up to the block right besides the oil filter and run my wire. also is the stock oil pressure sensor located there and if i put in a gauge do i really need it?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I dont think you technically need the stock sensor but it will throw a light if you have it unpluged...just get a tee and be done with it....properly...

·
Registered
98 civic with d1
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can get those at autozone or something like that correct? how much do they run?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
i just took the sensor and sending unit for the new gauge with me to jegs and had them match up the threads and got a t-fitting. it only cost a couple dollars.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i just took the sensor and sending unit for the new gauge with me to jegs and had them match up the threads and got a t-fitting. it only cost a couple dollars.
oil pressure sender unit has BSP threads; i'll bet the autoparts store gave you a brass t-fitting with npt threads... do it right; get the stealthmode/TT piece...

·
Registered
'06 GMC Sierra Crew
170 Posts
Just an advice and take it fwiw... But i highly recommend you ditch the electric sender and get a mechanical gauge instead. Those electrical senders are huge and by the time you add a couple of adapters, t-fittings etc. you end up with a bigass heavy load and with leverage effect, over time will break off the block causing damage to the block in some cases. Seen this on a few race cars. It would be no different and maybe even worse on a street car with mileage, potholes etc...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,797 Posts
yep, mine only lasted 500 miles.....also purchased from Jegs on 11th and I-71

·
Registered
91 civic dx sedan
351 Posts
so the mechanical gauge is the best bet then?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,797 Posts
or mounting the electric sending unit on the firewall, using SS line from the engine to the sender.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
when i had my electric sender on my oil feed T line, it lasted about 1 day before it took a shit. Then I mounted it to the firewall and it made a hell of a lot of noise that could be heard in the car.
I should have never sold my mechanical guage.

my opinion:

mechanical > electric

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok time to bring this back from the dead on a search im doing:

A. Ive always been told to leave mechanical gauges under the hood, I want to install an oil pressure gauge in cabin, anyone in here successfully run *on the street* a mechanical gauge? Or should i find a way to use an electrical.

B. What im acutally looking for is the operating range for the guage I want to get, basicly saying 0-?? what psi, I have a summit a/f gauge and would like to get the matching digital oil pressure gauge, but it may only be a 0-99psi gauge, Im not having much luck finding the highest normal range for my d15b vtec.

Thought Id toss this out in an already open thread for future searches.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
or mounting the electric sending unit on the firewall, using SS line from the engine to the sender.
That's what I did :TU: Works great. Don't have to worry about the damn thing breaking either.
And mechanical gauges inside the coupe... I wouldn't want to get an oil leak in there!

Here's my simple setup. The T is mounted to the cross member, next to the steering rack, with the huge sender in one end, and the stock sender in the other.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
A. Ive always been told to leave mechanical gauges under the hood, I want to install an oil pressure gauge in cabin
Only problem is if you get a leak. I wouldn't risk it personally...

B. What im acutally looking for is the operating range for the guage I want to get, basicly saying 0-?? what psi,
My oil pressure gauge reads 0-100 psi. That seems like a prefect range for it to operate in.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Acura Integra
736 Posts
Looks nice, but it's the wrong thread for the stock sensor.

-Des!
But with that, you should be able to run the stock one in its location, and the aftermarket sensor off the filter adaptor. I don't think that it would interfere with the stock sensors location.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts