Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, i've noticed my oil pressure has dropped some since I switched from Mobil1 to Royal Purple, but running the same weight, 10W 30. I used to run aroudn 38psi at idle when warm (i think my guage is off some), whereas now I run around 30psi at idle.

·
No Tune No Life!
99 Supercharge Regal
2,045 Posts
Just wondering, i've noticed my oil pressure has dropped some since I switched from Mobil1 to Royal Purple, but running the same weight, 10W 30. I used to run aroudn 38psi at idle when warm (i think my guage is off some), whereas now I run around 30psi at idle.
i have seen a drop(only when cold tho) but not one that big! usually just a psi or two when the engine is cold but once warm i have never seen a drop. you might want to check it with another gauge.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
I never noticed a difference in my car, but i agree that 30 at idle warm is way more then I ever had in any of my motors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What's the normal oil pressure psi during idle? I'm getting 9-10psi and it sometimes drops to 4-5psi then goes back up. I'm a bit worried, what to do?

·
Registered
103 Posts
If it's something between, then what could it be? I'm on a base map right now, and it runs 18.x during idle so it's really lean. But once I rev/drive, it goes to 13.2/12.x/11.x so could it be the basemap causing it to drop down to 4-5 sometimes then back up to 9-10?

(Sorry to OP for stealing thread)

(I hope my problem helps the next person. lol)

·
Registered
the short bus
1,065 Posts
38 @ idle? how long was the car running for? Is it the same after a 30 mins drive or does it drop down lower? Is this an electrical gauge? If so whats it grounded to?

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
7 psi at idle is fine.... 30psi is way too much at warm idle lol... get a mechanical guage, screw electrical sending units

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If it's something between, then what could it be? I'm on a base map right now, and it runs 18.x during idle so it's really lean. But once I rev/drive, it goes to 13.2/12.x/11.x so could it be the basemap causing it to drop down to 4-5 sometimes then back up to 9-10?

(Sorry to OP for stealing thread)

(I hope my problem helps the next person. lol)
AFR doesn't effect oil pressure, and 18:1 is fine for idle (if it will actually idle that lean)

30 psi at idle? You do have a modified or shimmed pump then I hope?
shimmed pump only effects top-end oil pressure, not at idle

what rpm are you idling at? electric or manual gauge? what brand?

See...I get 8-12psi with heavy 15w40 oil in mine, but yet my bottom end bearings still get fucked!
what kind of bearing clearances are you running? possibly too tight for that super heavy oil...

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow I forgot to check this thread, sorry guys, thanks for all the help. Its a mech. gauge, i think its off anyway, it won't go down past 20 with the car off. The engine was rebuilt probably no more than 7-8K ago...well, we left the block alone but its a low mileage ZC block(sohc), and yes we checked everything when we had it down. Oil pump is not shimmed.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Wow I forgot to check this thread, sorry guys, thanks for all the help. Its a mech. gauge, i think its off anyway, it won't go down past 20 with the car off. The engine was rebuilt probably no more than 7-8K ago...well, we left the block alone but its a low mileage ZC block(sohc), and yes we checked everything when we had it down. Oil pump is not shimmed.
Broken gauge = inaccurate readings = REPLACE NOW! LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts