Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres my question will the oil pan from the z6 work with the y8? if not its no biggie just wonderin i know they are different materials one stamped steel other cast alum... i just dont trust cast alum with a lowered car....punch holes insted of bending....

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
just weld a big 12 gauge steel plate down there :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
fuck the reps, facts are facts

z6 wont work on a y8 vise versa

spoolinsol- since you have 2 reps tell me are the oil pan gaskets the same?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I recently damaged my oil pan on my Z6 and a friend gave me his Y8 pan; It went on without issues... but there was a difference though; the layer was higher up in the z6 pan, and on the Y8 the layer was flush to the bottom of the pan. I'm running this pan right now, and every now and then on start up the oil light flashes and goes away.... think i should get a z6 pan?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
fuck the reps, facts are facts

z6 wont work on a y8 vise versa

spoolinsol- since you have 2 reps tell me are the oil pan gaskets the same?
yes they do; i have a y8 pan and z6 oilpan gasket sitting in my room; all bolt holes line up.

i'm willing to bet if you looked up the gasket p/n it is the same for y8 and z6...

me > u

rep accordingly...

·
Registered
402 Posts
I just swapped oil pans on my engine last night, from my old Y8 pan, to a new to me Y8 pan. There were some differences: even though both were cast aluminum pans, the old one had a groove for a rubber gasket, the new one used a flat rubber gasket. Also, the baffle in the new pan would not clear the oil pickup (OEM Y8 ), so I had to remove the baffle. The baffle from the old pan wouldn't fit in the new pan. Where the L-brackets go from the pan to the tranny bellhousing, the bolt spacing on the rear bracket was different, so I could only use one of the bolts to the oil pan there. Small differences, but prevented me from being able to use an oil baffle, which I'm not real excited about.

Thought this info might help someone down the road.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
beside materials what is the difference between a y7 and y8 oil pan? sorry to thread jack

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Can the Z6 pan work on a Y8 motor? NOT PROPERLY!

1) IIRC The bolt holes near the oil pump or rear seal are different. You'll need to redrill holes or run with missing bolts.
2) The Y8 pan is a structural part of the engine. There are brackets that connect the pan to the transmission. (Stiffen the assembly)

If you want to ghetto rig your stuff go for it... I wouldn't do it for my motor...

FYI, I have a Y8 block, Z6 head.
I had a Z6 pan tapped and ready to go but when I was building my motor, but decided to find a Y8 pan instead of risking using a z6 pan and having leaks and lost rigidity...

And btw, I have more rep and whp that all the others in this thread so far... I don't look at rep when looking for advice, but I do look at the content of the posts and the reasons given.
If someone of you has both pans laying around, they should photograph them with a tape measure measuring the distance between the holes closest to the oil pump and those near the rear main seal.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
yes they do; i have a y8 pan and z6 oilpan gasket sitting in my room; all bolt holes line up.
i'm willing to bet if you looked up the gasket p/n it is the same for y8 and z6...
me > u
rep accordingly...
no, the part numbers are different, no matter what year y8 you have. the only pan that is close to the y8 is the b16a3 pan.

also, how did you line the holes up? flipping the pan matting faces together?

to gpny:

the y7 has the same structural bs as the y8 pan, but the y7 will also not fit on a y8.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts