Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this might be a stupid question but, instead of tapping the oil pan for a return line, would it be possible to get a brass T that would screw into the oil drain hole, and then put the plug back in and run a drain line from the turbo to the open hole on the T? just wondering. i know the return line is gravity fed so as long as it stays going downwards it should be ok. plus its emptying into the pan, it just has to travel about a foot longer. let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
152 Posts
ok this might be a stupid question but, instead of tapping the oil pan for a return line, would it be possible to get a brass T that would screw into the oil drain hole, and then put the plug back in and run a drain line from the turbo to the open hole on the T? just wondering. i know the return line is gravity fed so as long as it stays going downwards it should be ok. plus its emptying into the pan, it just has to travel about a foot longer. let me know what you guys think.
You also would have to think about hitting something that might rip off the "T". The line would have to be routed to the rear of the oil pan where the plug is, keeping in mind to make the line go downwards the whole time. I would just drill the pan.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it is not possible.

The oil return is a "gravity fed" line that drains the oil from the turbo center housing to the oil pan. Since it's gravity fed, angle, and position of the line, and mounting tap are cricitcal for proper flow.

If the tap is mounted to low (I.E. below the surface level of the oil in the pan) the pressure of the oil sitting in the pan will "outweigh" that of the pressure of gravity pulling the oil down the line into the pan. Therefore, causing a backup.

Your ideal setup is to tap the bung on the oil pan as high as you can get it, allowing gravity to pull the oil down the line, and flow it into the "less pressurized" part of the pan.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks for the clarification.. im just not wanting to take that pan off.. :( last time i did it was a pain in the ass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts