Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX Si
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing an oil change on my car and noticed oil seems to be escaping from the oil pan. I recently changed that gasket and figured maybe the bolts werent as tight as they shoudl be (8lbs if im not mistaken) Well i managed to find a loose bolt which broke off with no force from my side :(.

Theres not enough of the bolt sticking out to try and vice grip it out so i got a 1/16th drill bit and a screw extracter from Vato Zone.

Well i started the lead hold (1/16th bit) and went about a lil over a 1/4 of the way in. Figured that be enough to back it out. Well its just my luck the the damn extracter snaped off was i began backing it out.

Now i dont know what to do since it still didnt back out far enough to use vise grips :(.

Any one got any suggestions for me? Its my dd and i hate bumming rides :(

Thanks in advanced guys

Mondo

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
next time apply small amount of gasket sealer in both U shaped extremities.

When bolting the pan follow the correct pattern, I usually bolt them hand tight and with a super small drop of thread lock (blue, soft one) to avoid them from loosing with vibration (my car has urethane mounts)

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
next time apply small amount of gasket sealer in both U shaped extremities.

When bolting the pan follow the correct pattern, I usually bolt them hand tight and with a super small drop of thread lock (blue, soft one) to avoid them from loosing with vibration (my car has urethane mounts)
:TU:

couldnt have said it better!!!!

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX Si
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did exactly as the service manual required minus thread lock *shame on me* :(. Those places on the manual are the only areas that require gasket sealer correct?

ttt for more ideas on how to get the broken screw/stud out! :(

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
Is there enough sticking out to cut a slit in the bolt with a dremel and use a flathead screwdriver on it?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Is there enough sticking out to cut a slit in the bolt with a dremel and use a flathead screwdriver on it?
x2

usually they are soft bolted, try to twist it with a pliar (sp?) or do a fine slot with a dremel disk and unscrew it with a flathead screwdriver

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX Si
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dremel slit may work but i think it'll be close :( ill have to double check. And pan is on now but i take it off everytime i attempt to get the broken bolt off.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX Si
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is it safe to say that 9lbs of torque = super hand tight? I dont want to break a bolt and i cant tell when my torque wrench wants me to stop turning at 9lbs :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.