Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed the oil pan gasket twice now and am wondering why it keeps leaking after a few thousand miles. Any ideas? I know I am installing it right....

--Doug

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
cause its not leaking from the oil pan it just looks like it is.

unless you have a fucked oil pan and gasket like on my geo that I did a shitty ass job on 2 or 3 times. in all fairness that was a long ass time. still havent fixed it.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
whats funny, i got a used oilpan from smoone, came with stock gasket hes had on there. I got my pan tapped and welded from a friend for free, it burnt the gasket and made it swell up about half an inch, like it stretched the gasket...made it kinda brittle almost...I slapped it on....LOL still no damn leaks...thats fuckin hilarious.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
are you using rtv sealant?
Blue
cause its not leaking from the oil pan it just looks like it is.

unless you have a fucked oil pan and gasket like on my geo that I did a shitty ass job on 2 or 3 times. in all fairness that was a long ass time. still havent fixed it.
Trust me, not an idiot. The oil is coming out around the entire gasket an not anywhere else on the engine.........

On a side note; it is more of a seep than a leak.....

--Doug

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I'm sure your not an idiot but what I've thought was an oil pan gasket in the past isnt. go to a parts store and ask for oil dye. and get a black light. I'll bet its coming from above and leak down on to the oil pan.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I also had problems with the mine leaking after replacing it. I got it right when I ended up doing it without sealant on the whole gasket, just in the corners by the crank. Also, do not torque down more that 8-9 lbs/ft.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Are you tightning it down really tight? You should only torque it down like one turn of a flick of a wrist if that made sence. haha Sorry, I'm sick and not all here. But if you over tighten it, it will crush/pinch the gasket, it may seal for a little but over time with all the pressure it'll just leak again.

·
Registered
173 Posts
make sure you are cleaning the surface really well make sure all the old gasket is off and make sure to wipe it down with some brake clean o rcarb cleaner to get the oil off could be preventing a proper seal. also you could just not waist the money on a gasket and just use blue rtv i never buy gaskets only rtv and never have a problem.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Are you tightning it down really tight? You should only torque it down like one turn of a flick of a wrist if that made sence. haha Sorry, I'm sick and not all here. But if you over tighten it, it will crush/pinch the gasket, it may seal for a little but over time with all the pressure it'll just leak again.
exactly.

what was the torque spec on that, like 19 ft lbs. i believe...

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
torque is 8-9 lbs-ft and get rid of the blue and get some black sealant. dont put it all over the gasket just at the corners near the crank. clean the mating surface with something like laquer thinner, it does a really good job of cleaning oily surfaces.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
yeah deff not 19ft lbs, unless you wanna break a few lol.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts

I would use Hondabond or Permatex Ultra Grey for sealant on those corners - nowhere else.
HondaBond FTW. Like he said, in the corners only and get the torque specs right and it should be perfect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts