Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
Ok, I found some pics of what I did. The oil pan in question was seriously mangled. I had to fix it to keep it from leaking. Someone decided to try to weld a brass washer to the pan with a MIG welder and steel wire. Yeah, that was dumb. Anyway, I spent a long while looking around the local hardware store. I found something that would work; a fitting for a garden hose, just like the second one on this page: http://www.plumbingproducts.com/hoseadap.html

I chose that one because I could run a nut on one side of the fitting and clamp it down to the oil pan, then, just for good measure, solder it in place to provide a good seal.

First, I cleaned up the pan.
Inside:

Outside:

Then, I used a band saw to cut one side off the fitting in a bandsaw, as it wasn't needed and I didn't want it to possibly interfere with anything:

This is what I ended up with:

I don't have a lot of pics of the rest of the processes, but I soldered the fitting in place, and ended up with a pinhole:

That sucked, but, it wasn't too hard to overcome. I simply drilled the hole out a bit, cut two rectangles of 1/16" thick aluminum flat stock, spread JB weld on both pieces and used a SS machine screw with a nylock washer to clamp everything in place:

This is the outside:

I soldered a short piece of copper tubing to the fitting after I had put a very slight flare on the end so that the hose wouldn't pull off of the tube. I made sure to file the edges down on the tube so it wouldn't cut the return line.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go to you local Hardware store. Find a fitting the has the same size of your Oil drain hose on one end and threaded on the other end. Find a NUT with the same thread size to act as bung. Go to muffler shop and have it welded and your done. IMO JB-Weld is great on other application just not oil/fuel lines. Not worth the risk!! What risk? something you don't want to experience.

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
Honestly, there isn't anything wrong with JB weld if you use it within it's limitations. You really shouldn't try to patch a block or repair a combustion chamber with it, but when it is used to seal and hold a fitting in place that is under a compressive load, it works perfectly well, is easy to use, and is cheap.

Also, most guys that work at muffler shops shouldn't be allowed near anything but exhuast tubing. I know one guy who can weld around a flange with the pipe in place and bolt up in the car in one pass without looking, but ask him to do anything BUT that, and he'll even admit you need to go to someone with more experience. Welding the oil pan, unless you absolutely know what you are doing, is NOT a good idea. You have to keep you heat low and weld in stages to prevent warping the pan.

A better place to go would be an old, crusty body shop with an old guy who is used to torchwelding bodies back together.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Thanks cagliostro13 :TU:
The kit comes with...
-Dual port block fitting (one for the turbo the other for a 2nd feed or press. gauge)
-oil feed line
-oil drain flange
-oil drain line
-both drain barbed fittings

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
The hose fitting too me about 45 minutes after I got the oil pan off and cleaned up, but I had a pretty full shop and knew exactly what I was doing.

I would buy Autoworks kit and save myself a lot of hassle, but sometimes, yu don' thave a choice other than to use whatcha got.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts