Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on where the best spot is when tapping an oil pan and the answers ive gotten are as high above the oil level as possible.........mys question is, where abouts is the oil level typically?

thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
With the pan off of the car, fill it with five quarts of something, and mark it. Then tap, somwhere above that line, the higher the better. The placement of the turbo drain flange will dictate just how high you can tap, and still maintain a downhill flow from turbo to pan.

Edit: Center the tap point between the pan bolts! (Thanks BLK92 and myHonda1, I've been there too!)

Craig

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
After you get the car running, depending on what kind of drain line you are running, you can do what I did and temporarily use some clear tube and start the car and check to make sure its draining.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
^Good point there... I saw at Lowes some high temp clear reinforeced tubing that could be used for such applications. Anyone have a clue what temperatures (oil temps) we'd be looking at for a turbo oil drain.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
^Good point there... I saw at Lowes some high temp clear reinforeced tubing that could be used for such applications. Anyone have a clue what temperatures (oil temps) we'd be looking at for a turbo oil drain.
Its only gotta last a few seconds...minutes at the most...and you will be under there watching it, so i say buy whatever is cheaper and then put what you originally were going to run on.

Oh yea, here is a pic of mine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts