Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 civic ex d16z6 that I just recently built. I am in the break in process now and after driving it today, I popped the hood only to find smoke and oil pooled up betweed the head and the top of the manifold. The exhaust is not gray and thick. the build is as follows:

D16Z6 Block
75mm Vitara with teflon coating
FJ R Spec custom length rods
ACL rod and main bearings
Hastings rings
ARP rod bolts

D16z6 Head stock
ARP head studs
FELPRO MLS head gasket
OEM intake manifold
FELPRO complete top end gasket set

Turbo
Precision 4431E @ 14 psi
Treadstone intercooler and piping
custom 3" downpipe to 2.5" exhaust w/cat
TurboSmart BOV and wastegate
HDi electronic boost controller

Computer
P28 ECU chipped and tuned on Crome

The car was built by me from the machining to the installation. This isnt my first build but it is my first honda build.

What could this possibly be? The gaskets are about a year old. The car sat for a year while I was in Afghanistan but it was cranked often by my wife.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Maybe valve cover gasket. Post pics.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Here you can see the oil that was pooled up on the manifold. The head below the valve cover gasket is dry and there is also residual on the transmission. Also you can see on the manifold gasket where it is black from oil burning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
pic not working...

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Can you see oil pooling on the turbo inlet? If you can eliminate the turbo being the problem, then the head is leaking...perhaps valve stems seals or excessive clearances in the valves guides. Do you have any oil on you spark plugs?

·
Registered
Black/Green Civic HB
753 Posts
If you don't have a catch can, I bet the excess crankcase pressure is forcing oil out from everywhere!
Do you have the stock pcv in?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I removed the PCV and plugged the canister in the back of the block. I'll check on the spark plugs tomorrow. It only seems like it leaks/seeps when I put a tune on it. If I'm running a basemap, it runs fine just not fast. Lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts