Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 D16y8 that i swaped into my 94 civic and it has an oil leak that seems to be comming from around the oil pan? I'll check the oil pan gasket but is there anything else that i should look at??

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,666 Posts
Yup.

If the leak is towards the front of the engine then it could be the crank seal. If it's in the middle then it could be the oil filter is not screwed down tight. The finally if it's toward the back then it could be the rear main seal.

Try spraying down where ever you see oil leaking and then see where the new seepage begins to show. Or you could replace the oil pan gasket and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If its running down the transmission and onto the oil pan it could be the Distributor o-ring...just a thought...

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Also check for double oil filter gasket. That is a classic...
Forgetting to remove the gasket at last filter change.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Also check for double oil filter gasket. That is a classic...
Forgetting to remove the gasket at last filter change.
double oil filter gasket?? What kind of oil filter has a rubber that comes out?? Never have I heard of an oil filter rubber being still attached to the motor, and you'd have to be handicapped to miss it if it did stay attached to the motor!

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Sometimes the old oil filter gasket comes off the filter and sticks to the block. Simple oversite

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Exactly.... My wife took her brand new Mazda3 to Jiffy lube after i told her not to. The very next day she had no oil pressure. they stripped the oil plug and tried to hide it. Made them put a new motor in it. Too bad its not the turbo motor.

·
Registered
159 Posts
had same thing happen to me jiffy is a classic but mine was wrong oil filter

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
I have several friends that work on cars, only one of them works at a oil change place. Another works at a shop that rebuilds porsche engines and shit, another works at a ford dealership.

Which person would you guess that I won't let touch my car?

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I dont let anyone work on my cars. Unless I truly cannot fix it myself.

·
Registered
My Crix
1,169 Posts
I dont let anyone work on my cars. Unless I truly cannot fix it myself.
:werd: im anal bout others workin on mine, i do everythin myself, even my alignment. Yea bout the double oil filter gasket, they definately do stick. specially on dodge's (used to work at a dodge dealer), did an oil change on a magnum, it stuck, didnt kno it, put the new filter on, filled it with oil. Yea definately pulled it up to the customer with it pukin oil all over the shop. I laughed and said whoops. They were pissed but it was a simple fix and i definately check every single time i do an oil change. Im not retarded, it just got so monotonous day in and day out doin oil changes that it was a honest oversight. oh well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts