Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv been chasing an oil leak since I got the car 6 months ago and I havnt been in a huge rush until it got severely worse over this last weekend. Car is a canadian spec 97 si unmodified d16y8
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber

When the car is running i can watch oil start to drip down the front of the motor starting right above where the d16y8 is stamped. Seems to be coming from underneath the dizzy by the head gasket and drips down the front of motor where the trans and block meet up. I had already replaced the leaky vtec solenoid gasket. And my valve cover gasket has always been dry and clean.. I first assumed that it would be the dizzy o ring, when I went to replace that the dizzy itself and around the old o ring was dry. Replaced the o ring anyways wile it was out. Underneath the dizzy there was the coolant temp sensor and another sensor in the block, both were dry. Leak seems to be coming from were the head bolts to the block.

Am I missing something in this ballpark that could be the culprit? Or is it possible there's an oil galley leaking on my head gasket, that doesn't seem likely but its puking oil from that vicinity.
When I drive, front and back of the motor get coated well but iv degrease and rinsed the motor multiple times looking for the leak. If it sits on level ground idling I can watch it start dripping down the front of the motor how I described earlier.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,469 Posts
I've seen it happen when a bone head installs a head gasket without a locator, or drops a head when they pick it up by an unbolted cam gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Inside the dizzy was dry as well I checked at the same time I thought it was the o ring. Iv seen the dye but havnt used it yet.. Im pretty sure its coming from underneath the dizzy. Back of the motor doesn't get wet unless im driving. It just drips down the front how I described. Cars totally stock, I bought it from the original owner. Don't think its been opened yet but I could be wrong

1 - 8 of 8 Posts