Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are millions of oil threads, but I cannot find anything solid about what you should use on the dyno, and I would like to hear what you guys think I should run in my specific build.

.017 bearing clearances rods and mains, 600+ whp goal.

I am using Torco RTF for my transmission.

I will only be running this car when it is 60-85 Degrees F.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Amsoil or Joe Gibbs break in oil. If you want to cheap out get some rotella 15w40. Whatever you use, wait till you have 500-1000 miles (or a few hard track days) before you put synthetic in her.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
I used rotella 10/30 for break in and everything after that.. that oil imho is the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
I also used Rotella 15w-40 in my Z6 turbo build during break-in and thereafter. Never any issues. Bearing clearances were all on the factory limit.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Yup 10w-40 is a good choice and you can buy a 5qt jug of Rotella at Walmart for like $25
maybe I cant read the jug right but doesn't rotella only come in 4qt jugs?

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Schaeffers did a demonstration back when I was still in school. They used a Timken bearing tester and a piece of steel. Using every oil you can buy at Advance Auto, they basically rubbed the spinning bearing on metal cube to represent metal on metal wear. They went to each side and made an indent in the material and told us to fell the indention. Each oil they used to lube the metal on metal contact did really well but when he used Schaeffers it left the metal groove cut by the bearing baby smooth. All the other oils did great but I was really impressed with the wear pattern left by the Schaffers. That is what I use now. Just my .02 lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
maybe I cant read the jug right but doesn't rotella only come in 4qt jugs?

Zoom in on the jug. 1 gal lol this is from instagram the other day, you would have saw if you ever got on anymore:sad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts