Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running FRAM filters, Ive heard some hate on them here, why?? what filter should I be using with my Mobil-1 5w30 synth??? l8er guys...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The end caps are cardboard and break down or burst under pressure. I use Purolator Pure 1 filters which are a much better design all around.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As soon as you cut open a Fram you'll realize whats wrong with them. They are cheaply made. IIRC it didn't even have a bypass valve. After hearing many good things about NAPA filters i decided to try them. They are made by WIX which is a very good filter company. I cut one open and it was very well built, much better than the Fram. So.. Honestly, I would give just a regular white NAPA filter a try.

·
Registered
99 Civic Si
53 Posts
I've heard a lot of good things about the OEM Honda filter, but only the one that actually has the Honda name on it. I guess Honda uses Fram stateside. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Hamp to though. If you have the money K&N makes a decent one for Civics I guess, but at 12$ its not really worth it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I use the M-1 filters with their Synthic oil too. no major reason for the filter other than they are pretty good. Just search, and I know there is aleast a handful of threads covering this subject in great detail.

·
Registered
97 Civic CX Hatch
836 Posts
I ran a FRAM one time...when I drained the oil, I could see a bunch of small particles in it about the same size as grains of sand.

I switched to a WIX filter, and when I drained it after about 8000 miles, the oil looked like it had just been poured from the bottle, only a few shades darker. My latest filter is a Hastings, so I'll see how that's done in a couple weeks...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I use Mobil 1 filters, you really do get what you pay for...and i used to be a fram user my self when I didn't care how my car ran...but since i've built my motor...only used a fram during the first initial 10 minutes then drained and switched to Mobil 1. I think fram spends all their money on the Sure-Grip, which I really like, but I'd rather have more filtration to my motor instead, I guess that's why they invented oil filter wrenches.....hmmm strange

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Idk about the bad reviews on Fram. I'm switching mines this weekend.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
well i think i'll be getting ride of the frame i have, now that i have heard all of this...i've been using frame for 90+ thousand miles...*shrug*at least i've been using mobil one...

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
Since I installed my "new" engine, I ran the 1st 500 miles w/ an OE Honda filter then went to a Molbile1. My next oil change I'll be going to a K&N. Not that I think it's better than a Mobil1 but the 1" nut makes them easier to take off.

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
1991 Honda Civic STD
810 Posts
I've often wondered what the best filter out there is for the Honda Civic and have narrowed it down to these 3:

1.) USDM Honda S2000/JDM HAMP filter: It's built for Honda's and sold at any :honda: dealership or online for cheap. [url=""]password:jdm[/url] has a sweet deal goin on now, $69.99 for 10 HAMP filters, which are the same as US S2K filters :)honda: part # 15400-PCX-004)
For peace of mind, this OEM filter is made for cars like the 9K rpm 246 HP JDM S2000, 220 HP ITR & Civic-R. Its a great bargain. :TU:

S2000 left vs. regular Purolator right \/\/\/

2.) Purolator Pure One filter: It has shown thru many test to filter very well, slightly better than the Honda unit above. BUT its costs more and isn't an OEM Honda part so you don't know how well it functions on your Civic vs. a Geo Metro or whatever other aps. it was made for.

3.) Mobil 1 filter: I rated this piece 3rd because I have never heard reviews of it, test results or how much it costs. But I use Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic oil and would guess this filter was made to work best with Mobil oil. I know Mobil spent lots of $$ on developing Mobil 1 oil and assume the filter is just as advanced.

Really you cant go wrong with any of the above filters on your SOHC. Honda, Purolator, And Exxon/Mobil have all been in business for a VERY long time so whatever of the 3 you can get easiest/cheapest is really the best.

I'm drunk but coherent...:beer:

·
Neighborhood Asshole is Back!
02 BMW; 00 Civic EX
1,892 Posts
read through the big oil thread stickied on here..... there is comparisons of filters in there and also some cut aways

·
Registered
901 Posts
im going to give the s2k filter a try. ive always used a fram, but now im going to oem filter due to the horror stories ive heard about fram filters.
arent the s2k filters like a "mint green " color?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts