Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got the scoop on a oil filter sandwich block that doesn't leak. Having trouble with this cheap ass blox one. there are quite a few out there just wondering what seems to be working well for everyone. looking for one with one with three ports on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the one i have that has a gasket which is one piece. looks like this

i'm thinking about trying a couple of orings in the inner and outer grove instead
and ur right, the brass tee should be the best option long term. I seem to remember that sensor port having some funky thread pitch.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
i used a glowshift sandwich in my previous build and it worked fine no leaks, just a single o ring not that funky bloxs crap. definitely need to tighten the piece that screws on and holds the sandwich on but dont over tighten it either, just like an oil filter you dont want it to tight. also i think the oil pressure switch is bspt thread so you need an adapter bspt to npt then put the brass t on that so it doesnt break off in the block

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Golden eagle is what i used and suggest everyone else to use. It supplies filtered oil outputs to the turbo and anything else you want to T off of it. Double o-ringed so it wont leak and an impressive billet piece.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Golden eagle is what i used and suggest everyone else to use. It supplies filtered oil outputs to the turbo and anything else you want to T off of it. Double o-ringed so it wont leak and an impressive billet piece.

same....had one since 05, or 06. SOLID

·
Registered
753 Posts
Glowshift here, single o-ring. No leaks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Good to hear the single oring is working. Both golden eagle and mocal look fantastic, but with most of you running with glow shift @ 29.99, fuck it I'm gonna give it a try. Its got three ports. My driveway will be happy

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
This guy right here knows what is up.

You all dont want to use filtered oil to keep your turbo alive? Oh well, its your car after all.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I've been using a sandwich plate from prosport on cars for years, never had an issue. I don't really believe in the whole "filtered or unfiltered" oil discussion. The oil is constantly being filtered in your engine, so it really shouldn't be that bad if you get the "before the filter" oil to your turbo. If your oil really is that dirty then you have other problems. The only time I can see it being bad is if you have an engine problem and have metal in your oil, then before your engine dies it circulates through the turbo. Don't get me wrong the golden eagle is a great product, and to me it's just better quality but the "filtered oil" is simply for piece of mind it's not a necessity.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
You can believe that all you want. I will use filtered oil for my cars.

So I guess if you were building an LS VTEC, you would pump unfiltered oil up into the cylinder head all the time?

Hell, why even have an oil filter. Every engine in the world uses them but they are unnecessary? Doubt-full.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
4,831 Posts
Is it not still filtered oil?

The only time I would think this is a problem is if you have a bearing or something get chomped up and it not only destroys the engine but the turbo might get hit too. Is this the reasoning or just to have "freshly" filtered oil for the turbo?

I only ask because I don't actually have real world experience with these so enlighten me :)

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
My number one concern would be RTV. And then from there, dirt, debris, metal, sand, etc.

One very small strand of RTV can plug a small oil galley very quickly. IE, Cylinder head restrictor jets, turbo restrictors/oil channels... small restrictions are what concern me the most.

Weigh an old used oil filter after it has drained out. Then soak a new filter and let it drain out. Guess which one weighs more? The one with all the foreign material in it.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
Thanks dude. IIRC Garrett even demands customers install a filter inline with the turbo in aftermarket applications or warranty claims are void. I believe it was Garrett. Could have been someone else. Greg @ Go-autoworks or Bob @ RC-autoworks would be good to set the record straight I am sure they have had a customer or two who have had issues and needed a warranty.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts