Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....I have a brand new precision 3431 aka sc34 (t3/t4E) I have been debating what size oil feed to run and what restrictor if any. I have read all kinds of opinions about -3 or -4 line and restrictors. I called precision today and the guy who answer said -4 line NO RESTRICTOR! He said they need high volume of oil. I said, wont that blow out the seals? and he said no, not if you have a good return line set up. I want to trust what precision says, but I am a bit hesitant to think that it's ok to run a -4 with no restrictor. What do you guys think??

·
Registered
587 Posts
i have been seeing alot of guys on here run -3 with no restrictor...

i have my garrett turbo with a -3 and no restrictor. my oil pump is also ported and am not having any problems, i also only have a few 100 miles on my turbo so far.

you should check out everyone's build thread to see what they use.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true....I should mention I plan to port my oil pump, which will increase pressure and volume, and I have spent hours searching other peoples builds, and you find a huge mixture of people running either -3 or -4 with or without a restrictor.....it's confusing...

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
So....I have a brand new precision 3431 aka sc34 (t3/t4E) I have been debating what size oil feed to run and what restrictor if any. I have read all kinds of opinions about -3 or -4 line and restrictors. I called precision today and the guy who answer said -4 line NO RESTRICTOR! He said they need high volume of oil. I said, wont that blow out the seals? and he said no, not if you have a good return line set up. I want to trust what precision says, but I am a bit hesitant to think that it's ok to run a -4 with no restrictor. What do you guys think??
that is the same advice i give to everyone.

its good solid advice

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
I have a 1/4" line run off a sandwich adp. w/ .006 restrictor ( stock oil pump) 7k+ and no problems on my Garrett
you have a .006" restrictor? a little over a tenth of a mm?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
So you don't believe the word that came straight from the horses mouth?

Ok.

FWIW, a good drain line does not necessarily mean it has to be as short as possible.

No kinks and running down hill > kinked line running down hill. I got shit for the way my drain line was run, but never had a single issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so I go with a -4AN line with no restrictor......where the hell do I get one? everything I find has a "built in" restrictor or the flage that goes on the inlet has a restrictor in it....

·
Registered
587 Posts
ok so I go with a -4AN line with no restrictor......where the hell do I get one? everything I find has a "built in" restrictor or the flage that goes on the inlet has a restrictor in it....
call up greg at go-autoworks
they should have what you need

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Or talked to an authorized precision dealer like us, we have -4 . Who did you talk to over at precision, did it go in depth about oil pressure at the turbo ect ????

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm using -3an with a .064" restrictor on my Ebay turbo. Doing just fine. Used straight -3an on the turbo that died in 1 day. -4an with the .064" restrictor on my first T3 60 trim without issue for 12k miles.

I'd get an oil pressure gauge and check what you get at the turbo feed, then adjust as necessary. I've read several posts about blowing out the seals with a -4an feed.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Lol^

I run -3 no restrictor, everytime ive seen -4 it starts flowing past the ring, after a bit. This is from experience, not what I hear.

Probably done atleast 20 of each

Thesewere ebay turbos I installed at performance one last years, the results were what I said

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm using a -4 nitrous line from NOS, works fine, bored out restrictor in adapter. If Manufacturer says no restrictor, Manufacturer knows best. Most journal bearing turbos need all the oil you can give them to keep them cool. Ball bearing turbos use restrictors to reduce drag. Make sure you have a good drain, any restriction can cause oil to push past the seals.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
because oil can some how destroy steel rings?
It can, when under pressure, if the ring is weak due to design, thickness, heat wear, etc.

How? -> Oil has hydrolic properties; Use grey matter to see how this would apply in this situation, because I am not your mommy so I dont spoon feed.

Try again slick.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts