Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i turboed my car saturday, with a 14b. blew that sucker up today, i think it was coked up. i had an oil psi gauge located after the oil restrictor and it was reading 80+ psi (warm) while accelerating. anyways i just installed a t25 that i had as a replacement but this little sucker smokes. oil psi is around 40psi (warm) while accelerating, guess the other was coked up.

i have my oil return located fairly high on the oil pan but it is under the baffling, i can get a pic tomorrow, will this affect me at all?

i was told as long as the bottom of the turbo is above the oil level and the return doesnt curve up at all i would be fine, any input?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
are you using the right restrictor? pic of the drain w/ line installed, please.

psi for the engine is only like 10 psi @ idle / 50 psi @ 3k. you might want to make sure the sending unit is not grounded. i don't think i hit 80*, when warmed, under load.....

you want the drain to go into the pan above the oil level in the pan
this is true.

·
Registered
40 Posts
just asking

i might be way out there but how could you have 80 psi after the resrictor. and i looks like if it was coked up it wouldn't let any get thru. just wondering

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a manual gauge, its a .065 restrictor, looks like im gonna have to retap the damn pan!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.060" restrictor my bad

would my return being low cause the higher pressure? there is such a huge difference in oil psi between swapping the turbos, my 14b must have been coked solid.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

pic for reference

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
looks like your under the oil level.

from the look of it, your about a bung too low. i.e. if you could place a bung right on top of your, that would be a better place to put your drain bung.

·
Registered
136 Posts
1st off I was like "the turbos on cocaine"?:hammer: spell check ftw (choked)! 2 questions, Why a restrictor with the 14b never heard or saw this before, and why and how the oil psi gauge after the restrictor(pics please)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Why a restrictor with the 14b never heard or saw this before
why add the restritor? = oil pressure from the block at 3k is 50*, turbo pressure should be somewhere in the 10*-15* range, iirc.

as for why you have never seen this before, i have no idea. maybe the 14b has one in the housing already. to be honest i don't know because i have never used one or wanted to use one.

why and how the oil psi gauge after the restrictor
how? = back of block->line (optional)->restrictor->line->tee fitting->turbo. at the tee fitting add the oil pressure sending unit, done.

why? = to monitor turbo oil pressure to make sure it doesn't get too high. and to ensure there is oil pressure actually reaching the turbo bearing (no clogs).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am pretty sure the 14b has a built in restrictor. Gotcha

·
Registered
613 Posts
yours looks like its in the same spot as mine and my turbo has been going strong for awhile now (i think, blow by sucks!)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE:

fucked around with some stuff but didnt move the oil drain. now the turbo runs about 8psi at a warm idle and no more then 20-25psi around 3-4k rpms

no smoke either!

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts