Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys ,
I hope everyone is doing just fine. I am planning to get an oil cooler for my setup (D16ZC turbo , build bottom end stock sleeves)

I have a few questions in mind ( searched around a bit but could not find answers to these )

1-) My Oil pressure at cold start is 70 PSI , and when warmed up it hovers in between 22-25 Psi ( are these oil right ? )

2-) My Oil temps when giving 3 constant runs ( 22psi ) reaches to 95-97C ...and takes alot of time to cool down. Will getting an oil cooler be beneficial for me ?

3-) I am getting an evo 4 oil cooler with fitting in a very good price. Will this be too big /too small for my setup ?

4-) How much effect will the oil cooler be having on my Oil pressure ( this is the most imp thing i am scared off :S )

I`ll be very thank full if you guys can help me out here

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Warm should be
5 - 10 psi while idle.
30 ish psi around 3k
then 6-10psi per 1k rpm.
If your not making that then you have a oiling problem.
Also it depends on the cooler. The oem honda ones are a block at the filter. You cool it by coolant.
There shouldn't be a psi lost on that one.

But I have a feeling your getting the 4an front mount air cooler.
The pressure will drop, I'm just not sure by how much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that idling pressure readings or under load?

For idle that pressure is fine.
No bro , its not under load. Its the pressure when the car is warm and idling. The 22 psi mentioned is actually the boost pressure :) . Sorry for the bad explanation i guess:)

Warm should be
5 - 10 psi while idle (When a warm idle it stays at around 22-25 Psi )
30 ish psi around 3k (Its actually a bit higher then 30 psi at 3k RPM)
then 6-10psi per 1k rpm (Check , its around 10 psi per 1k RPM )
If your not making that then you have a oiling problem.
Also it depends on the cooler. The oem honda ones are a block at the filter. You cool it by coolant.
There shouldn't be a psi lost on that one.

But I have a feeling your getting the 4an front mount air cooler.
The pressure will drop, I'm just not sure by how much.
The guy whom i am getting it fitted said that your idle pressure will only drop by 7-8 Psi , its either from an EVO 4-5 or from a Toyota based Suv.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oil temps under 240F/115C are fine, your pressures are fine as well.
Thanks for the reply friend. Feeling much relieved that i am in the safe zone. However i have quite a few friends with D15/D16s whose cranks gave up at 100 C temps. I know that there could be a lot of reasons / factors involved , but the tuners here do say that 100C is dangerous oil temp.

The weather temps here range from 35-40C here ( sometimes reaching 40+ ) with 70% humidity as well.

You guys would recommend that i should switch to an oil cooler ? a smaller one or i am risking my engine with possible low oil pressure scenarios after the oil cooler ??

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another quick question . With a thicker oil line the drop in oil pressure would be less and the pressure will drop more in a thinner line ? correct ?

or is it the other way around ?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I run at 30row oil cooler and my car was about 85C when track racing.
Without oilcoler it went to 120C and was not good for the engine.

Running 5w-50 mobile1.
Under 100C is ok for the motor, but I personly like to be at 80-90C

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi Team ,
I did not get the oil cooler ( thanks for the advices )

However regarding Oil pressure , i would like to get the feedback if the following readings are under the safe zone

1-) on Cold Starts at 1200 Rpms , the oil pressue hovers at 72-74 Psi

2-) When the car is fully warmed up at 90C Oil temperature . At 3000 RPM the Oil pressure is 50-52 psi ( 3.2 bars ) [ In nuetral Gear ] , its a bit higher when the car is in 2nd/3rd gear ( i know that for every 1k RPM pressure should be 10 Psi )

3-) Warm Idle Oil pressure is 17/18 Psi

are the above mentioned readings spot on or do i need to change my oil pump ?. I am using 5/40 fully synthetic oil

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I've personally had motors that built much less pressure last for ages and seen other motors that had perfect pressure blow up the next day or spin bearings. Given you're using 5w40 and have higher than normal pressure, you may want to step down to 5w30. A thicker oil will cause more pressure because it essentially backs up instead of flowing through the bearing well. In many cases it can cause worse lubrication. Only use thicker oil if you know for certain your motor was built with loose tolerances.

Most Honda motors can tolerate much hotter oil than normal, so heat isn't the issue. IMO most oil issues are from enough heat - beating the motor up before it's warm. The OEM Honda cooler uses coolant to warm it up faster, then keep it cooler when you start pushing the motor. Engine coolant is almost always the temp you'd want oil to be, so it's a good system. FYI Honda calls them oil coolers when they have large coolant tubes, and the units with small tubes on their fuel-saver engines are actually called oil warmers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've personally had motors that built much less pressure last for ages and seen other motors that had perfect pressure blow up the next day or spin bearings. Given you're using 5w40 and have higher than normal pressure, you may want to step down to 5w30. A thicker oil will cause more pressure because it essentially backs up instead of flowing through the bearing well. In many cases it can cause worse lubrication. Only use thicker oil if you know for certain your motor was built with loose tolerances.

Most Honda motors can tolerate much hotter oil than normal, so heat isn't the issue. IMO most oil issues are from enough heat - beating the motor up before it's warm. The OEM Honda cooler uses coolant to warm it up faster, then keep it cooler when you start pushing the motor. Engine coolant is almost always the temp you'd want oil to be, so it's a good system. FYI Honda calls them oil coolers when they have large coolant tubes, and the units with small tubes on their fuel-saver engines are actually called oil warmers.
Thanks bro for the detailed reply. I have been beaten on the car every weekend since last year and it still runs like a champ. However i do keep all the variables in check from time to time .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts