Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
This one's for you, Duck.
Wait, what?
Joined
·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
I had one of these on my car for a while, and while it does make an oil change simple and easy, it takes longer to drain the oil out, and does not seem to drain as much out as if you take the bolt out.

I would highly recommend this item for people who usually dont do their own oil changes but will since its so easy, or people who dont have the time.

Other than that i would just recommend using the oem honda bolt with a new crush washer every time. I also like to use genuine honda filters because of their o-ring design, it is an actual o-ring as opposed to the fram and other generic filters which use a flat rubber circle that has the tendancy to stick. Plus its easier to fully tighten the honda filter just using your hands. You can screw it on almost all the way with ease and then at the end you can feel it suck snugly against the block with a strong twist. However i find with the fram and such filters the flat rubber "o-ring" hits the block sooners and slowly starts to get harder and harder to turn, and is more difficult to fully tighten with your hands
 

·
No more Honda's :-(
Civic CX
Joined
·
3,223 Posts
SilentWrath* said:
I had one of these on my car for a while, and while it does make an oil change simple and easy, it takes longer to drain the oil out, and does not seem to drain as much out as if you take the bolt out.

I would highly recommend this item for people who usually dont do their own oil changes but will since its so easy, or people who dont have the time.

Other than that i would just recommend using the oem honda bolt with a new crush washer every time. I also like to use genuine honda filters because of their o-ring design, it is an actual o-ring as opposed to the fram and other generic filters which use a flat rubber circle that has the tendancy to stick. Plus its easier to fully tighten the honda filter just using your hands. You can screw it on almost all the way with ease and then at the end you can feel it suck snugly against the block with a strong twist. However i find with the fram and such filters the flat rubber "o-ring" hits the block sooners and slowly starts to get harder and harder to turn, and is more difficult to fully tighten with your hands
you don't need to crank a filter down. when the gasket hits another half to a full turn and your good. i do mine half turn and no leaks either.
 

·
Registered
92 EH2
Joined
·
439 Posts
my car had one of these when i bought it and i hated it. took forever to drain. if people like it i guess thats there choice but for me it sucked, its faster just taking out the oil threw the drain bolt and buttoning it back up and there your done.
 

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
I run the FRAM X2 filter with Castrol Syntec and it seems to work fine for me.

While we're on the topic, I was told by a few people that Mobil 1 synthetic is the best motor oil out there. Any truth to that statement? reason im asking is someone said they did dyno runs with different motor oils and the engine wiht Syntec in it actually lost HP

**EDIT** after some extensive reading and searching Ive decided to scrap the FRAM filter and get the HAMP one. some of the studies and stuff ive been reading about the FRAM filters is downright scaring me. id take the thing off today if i had the cash to do an oil change and get the HAMP filter
 

·
No more Honda's :-(
Civic CX
Joined
·
3,223 Posts
Steve-O said:
I run the FRAM X2 filter with Castrol Syntec and it seems to work fine for me.

While we're on the topic, I was told by a few people that Mobil 1 synthetic is the best motor oil out there. Any truth to that statement? reason im asking is someone said they did dyno runs with different motor oils and the engine wiht Syntec in it actually lost HP
i think that the best sythetic oil out there that is over the counter is royal purple. racing beat used it in their pistons motors and they said that it was the oil that gained the most hp. if racing beat says it's good then i'm sold. right now i have mobile one on my car but that's just cause i had a friend that worked and i got it for free. now that he git caught and i will actually be paying for my oil i'm gonna go with royal purple.
 

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
im looking into different oil right now. ive been reading something about the German Castrol Syntec is Porsche and BMW approved.

i think im going to go with Mobil 1 synthetic since it's available in town here. Royal Purple i'd have to order i think because no local shops carry it.

after reading all the crap about FRAM filters i seriously want to take it off my car right now but i cant get a HAMP or OEM Honda filter til tomorrow :(
 

·
Registered
92 EH2
Joined
·
439 Posts
yeah Steve-O i dont use those either. a buddy of mine read somewhere that the valve thats in there sometimes collapses and well basically kills your engine and there where alot of testimonials to his findings. he read it for his jetta but im sure that they apply to honda as well so since then i stick only OEM.
 

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
Joined
·
3,569 Posts
I'm using Quaker state 10w40, I'm really happy with that, I like parafine based oil...
Quaker state offer 400 000km garantee on engine with new car... Surrely they trust this own product...

I never broke any engine with this oil, engine stay very clean, oil consumption on older engine may be better due to additive and parafine base who 'seal' some minor leak...
 

·
This one's for you, Duck.
Wait, what?
Joined
·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use all Honda fluids in my car.

And as for the slow draining, I have found that if you do it after running the car for a bit, the oil flows better.
 

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
the EH said:
yeah Steve-O i dont use those either. a buddy of mine read somewhere that the valve thats in there sometimes collapses and well basically kills your engine and there where alot of testimonials to his findings. he read it for his jetta but im sure that they apply to honda as well so since then i stick only OEM.
im heading to the dealership in about half hour to do some comparisons on the filters and pick up an S2000 filter (PN 15400-PCX-004) to see if they are the same. They have them in stock and apprently they are the same as the HAMP ones the Spoon cars use. Im am scared shitless of that damn FRAM on my car and i just need to buy my Mobil 1 synth and im ready to change it out on Sat.

i read the HAMP and the JDM S2000 filter are same made by Toyo Roki and are both best quality but since they stock the PCX-004 filter at the dealership i dont have to wait a week for the JDM BLANG BLANG green one :p
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I used royal pruple since the begining of the brake in period. I smoetimes use mobil 1 synthec (new engine formula) but you feel more faster rev's with royal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
speaking of makeing the oil changes easier... does anyone have an oil filter relocator? if so what brand?

Steve-O said:
i think im going to go with Mobil 1 synthetic since it's available in town here. Royal Purple i'd have to order i think because no local shops carry it.
QUOTE]

i currently use Moble 1... after my friends drag team used it in thier 854cuin mountain motor drag car they saved a 10th in the 1/4.... if it is good for a moter that is like 8x bigger than mine...
 

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
Joined
·
2,441 Posts
i used to use quaker state with a fram filter. but the oil was always dirty as hell after some hard use.
i switched to schaffers synthetic blend, and of course an oem filter, and the oil looks way cleaner.:beer:
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I have the Quick Drain thing on my car. I am not sure if I like it or not. It is a little cleaner then using the drain plug, but it takes FOREVER to drain, even with a warm car. I am thinking of switching back to the plug, but I only change my oil every 7500 miles (GASP). I use the S2000 filter and AMSoil 10w-30.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top