Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! new JDM D15B VTEC engine is in my car and i have used it for around 200 KM already! after building I have used Honda 10W30 mineral oil with HAMP filter. the guy said he has drained the oil after half an hour of the initial start up and put new oil again but hasn't changed the oil filter. these are what i have used:

and this for Gearbox oil:

how is this gearbox oil? I have a Auto LSD gearbox. dealer said this oil is better than normal ATF.

for next oil change that will be my 3rd, i have bought Honda fully synthetic 5w40 and HAMP filter. how is this oil? is it fine to use it now? is HAMP better than Honda blue filter?

after how many KM should i change oil again and what the RPM limit is for my car during break in process. I need some advice for this period which i have to take extra care of my car like service schedules and does an doesnt s.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I like to let my engine idle for 20 -40 mins, then shut it drain it and change the oil filter. After that I get it on the dyno and rip on it, per my engine builder break it in the same way your going race it, HARD. If its gonna break its gonna break...

There is 101 different ways to break a motor in...this is just my method

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like to let my engine idle for 20 -40 mins, then shut it drain it and change the oil filter. After that I get it on the dyno and rip on it, per my engine builder break it in the same way your going race it, HARD. If its gonna break its gonna break...

There is 101 different ways to break a motor in...this is just my method
Thanks man! i was just kind of starting to think that nobody here changes oil after building the engine since i wasn't getting any answer.

my problem is also that there are many ways, for example i read in Endyn articles that :

Engine Break-In (1000 Miles)

Use only genuine Honda Oil Filters !!
Use 05-30 non-synthetic motor oil ONLY !!
Do Not operate the engine over 3,500 RPM during the first 200 miles of driving. You may increase the engine speed by
500 RPM for each successive 200 mile increment of break-in.
Replace the Honda Oil Filter after the first 200 miles of operation.
Change the oil and filter after 1000-1200 miles of operation. You may use synthetic, or a quality non-synthetic oil.
We use and recommend the use of 05-30 Mobil 1 motor oil.
http://www.theoldone.com/articles/engine_tips/piston_facts/pistonfacts.htm

while my mechanic said something else. he told me that no need to change filter after half an hour idle and next oil change (3rd time) would be after 1000 KM and do not pass 4K RPM in that period!!!!

i have spent a lot of money on my car now and i just don't want to risk it in any way so i want to make sure that what i am doing is correct.

any suggestions about oil and filter? i still can return the synthetic oil if it is not good!

thanks

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
what the RPM limit is for my car during break in process. I need some advice for this period which i have to take extra care of my car like service schedules and does an doesnt s.

Thanks.
break it in like you are going to drive it. but for the first 1000, keep the rpms changing. dont drive on an extended trip so that your rpms stay the same for extended periods. once the rings have fully seated then you should be golden

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
break it in like you are going to drive it. but for the first 1000, keep the rpms changing. dont drive on an extended trip so that your rpms stay the same for extended periods. once the rings have fully seated then you should be golden
:( this is the exact opposite of what i was doing!! i thought i should drive it with constant low rpm!!!! :(

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
+1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts