Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

recent rebuild on my dohc ZC, and I am having a strange oil burning problem. No oil smoke is visible during normal driving, including full-throttle high-rev boots up inclines, but if I roll (in gear) for any length of time with the throttle closed, especially down a hill, when I get back on the gas a cloud appears in the rearview mirror. The size of the oil cloud is dependent on how long I have rolled with the throttle closed, so if I am coming down from a mountain after a day on the hill, when I get to the bottom and hit the gas there is a lot of smoke. Is this rings, or is oil somehow getting sucked past the valve seals, or what the heck?

any thoughts appreciated.

greg v.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello

yup, replaced almost everything, including the pcv valve and all associated piping, but that was during the first rebuild; the engine had the same problem after that first rebuild, so I had three different shops diagnose the engine, including paying special attention to the pcv system; turns out the chrome rings hadn't seated, so the engine shop did the entire thing over again. Now I am having the same problem, and I want to be sure that I have investigated every possible cause of the oil burning before I take the engine shop to court for all my costs, not to mention being left with a car that burns oil after TWO rebuilds.

Is it possible for the pcv valve to be inserted backwards? If the engine shop omitted the oil control o-ring in between the head and block would it cause too much oil to flow to the head, thus causing excessive amounts of oil to be sucked back into the intake via the EGR system?

I have looked at this from as many different angles as I can think of, but I'm still coming up with the rings as being the culprit. To be honest I wish a semi would plow into it while it was parked....

thanks

greg v

·
Registered
915 Posts
how much have you drove it since u rebuilt it??u do a FULL rebuild??rings??you dont have enough pressure in the cylinders to keep the oil from the crank from passin the rings...just sounds like the rings havent seated yet or gone already...do a comp. check

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
i was about to post the samething. i just put a new head on my block, clean the pistons, no play what so ever with the rings, check the compression equal down the board, and yet i still burn oil. if i hammer on it hit and shift around 50-55 rpms or a little higher, when i let go of the gas it's like spy hunter smoke screen... but i didn't change the pcv valve so i'll try that and see what happens... if i can only fine a auto zone in gwinett, ga? lol.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rings & oil

hey guys

I only have about 1000 miles on since the rebuild, so I'm not sure what to say about the rings being seated yet or not. If they were cast rings, I would say they are as seated as they're gonna get, but chrome rings were used, so I don't know. Apparently chrome rings can take a long time to seat...and I had this same problem before. I liked the "Spy Hunter" fog screen reference; man, I know what you mean. I think I may try to swap out the pcv valve and see if that does anything, and I may disconnect the oil breather line between the valve cover & air intake as well; I'll probably just rig up a breather temporarily.

thanks

greg v

·
Registered
915 Posts
have you redlined it any since the rebuild???best way to seat new rings is to redline it in 2nd or 3rd and let the engine slow the car down...and do that a couple of times...the high pressure in the cylinders will seat the rings quick

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hello

I'll give that redlining trick a try; maybe I'll get lucky and the engine will grenade on me :)

thanks

greg v

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
hey i changed my pcv valve and drove form GA to NY. the smoke screen went down to almost nothing but a puff does come out when i hammer it so i guess i need to change my ring this winter... but can my ring be bad even if i did a compression test and they were all equal down the board?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts