Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i don't get it, i swear this car is haunted and LOVES to give me problems.
Got it tuned in NC, turboed d17 motor. 170whp. MUST always use premium fuel, misfires if i don't esp on highway (CEL flashes and sounds like a bunch of nuts in engine) once on 93 premium it's fine. ok great lesson learned.

So I have had my valve cover breather into nothing, just into the engine bay, squirts oil all over my tb/back of engine/firewall, apparently the pressure is like crazy in there.

i'm running 8PSI yes i am tuned. I don't get what i can do. I hooked up a catch can, (ran it from valve cover to can, but when i drove CRAZY burned oil was comming out of exahust , i took that shit out and now its fine, just gets oil everywhere on back of firewall etc.

How can i fix this? what's wrong?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
those "nuts" you hear in your engine when you dont run premium is what detonation sounds like. your tuner prob did a really aggressive timing map in your car.

who tuned it on NC?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What was the can going to? Sealed? Filter? Vacuum?
What's happening with the black box on the back of the block? Stock line to IM? Open to vent?

can was going to nothing. had the other hole caped off, since then i removed it and yeah still have burning oil....

the black box has oem hose going to intake.. should i pull that out and cap it?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
it is a whole lot of blow by.

unless you have a VENTED catch can, leave the other end open or you will not release the crankcase pressure from your engine, you will bottle it up.

most of the time what i do is just pull out the PCV valve out of the box in the back and run it open... never had a problem with it.

but since you are having BAD blow by problems... i would look into a rebuild or a new motor soon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so your running 93 now but what did you use before?
Also sounds like a whole lot of blow-by. Is the PCV still in place?
yes im running 93 i was running 87 or whatever regular is, I wont do that again. Pcv is on the back of block below intake, yes that is still hooked up. should i pull a hose off that and see what happens?

it is a whole lot of blow by.

unless you have a VENTED catch can, leave the other end open or you will not release the crankcase pressure from your engine, you will bottle it up.

most of the time what i do is just pull out the PCV valve out of the box in the back and run it open... never had a problem with it.

but since you are having BAD blow by problems... i would look into a rebuild or a new motor soon.
that sucks, i just swapped this motor in 2 weeks ago too, new headgasket arp headstuds etc

im sick of swapping motors in this thing, what should I do about it!?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
yea 87 will blow a hole in the block if your turbo. On the pcv you really need it to be sucking. When your boosting it blocks that hole and doesnt let the pressure out. So it all starts to go out the valve cover.
Look up some catch can setups and you should be better. YOu gotta suck from the pcv and suck or vent the valve cover.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea 87 will blow a hole in the block if your turbo. On the pcv you really need it to be sucking. When your boosting it blocks that hole and doesnt let the pressure out. So it all starts to go out the valve cover.
Look up some catch can setups and you should be better. YOu gotta suck from the pcv and suck or vent the valve cover.

suck from the pvc what do you mean by this, got a detailed picture? all i see is a hose from the black box that goes into the intake manifold

and btw, i have crazy crazy oil blue smoke under boost.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Ugh.

Do a compression leak-down test and report back.
There is no way for us to tell if youre having crankcase ventilation issues, or if youre engine is just worn out.

Also, what are you reving the D17 to?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Just run a hose (ditch the pcv valve) from the black box, and a hose from the valve cover into a catch can. Then make sure the catch can is not sealed, it has to be vented.

The blowby you are having doesnt sound promising, though. Might have pinged those ringlands to pieces when you ran that 87 oct.

Have you done a compression test?

·
Registered
698 Posts
those "nuts" you hear in your engine when you dont run premium is what detonation sounds like. your tuner prob did a really aggressive timing map in your car.

who tuned it on NC?
it's pre-ignition, not detonation. Higher octane fixes that.

Ugh.

Do a compression leak-down test and report back.
There is no way for us to tell if youre having crankcase ventilation issues, or if youre engine is just worn out.

Also, what are you reving the D17 to?
^ah damn...beat me to it. Sounds to me like the rings are worn bad, but a test will confirm this.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
can was going to nothing. had the other hole caped off, since then i removed it and yeah still have burning oil....

the black box has oem hose going to intake.. should i pull that out and cap it?
if the black box is hooked up to your intake your pressurizing your crankcase every time you go into boost.
oil in the combustion cycle will drop your octane rating, also.

Ditch the black box, get a catch can, vent your crankcase to atmosphere, or pull a vacuum on it with the exhaust or, pre turbo.
pre turbo not the greatest cause if the oil vapor isn't getting separated in the catch can its just going to burn it again.

get a hold of Greg at go autoworks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
pressurizing the crankcase, thats the problem.

if deleting the pcv setup doesnt cure it you likely have bad rings, the compression is blowing by them causing a TON of pressure in the crankcase which blows out wherever possible.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1,517 Posts
if the black box is hooked up to your intake your pressurizing your crankcase every time you go into boost.
wrong. the black box has a one-way valve in it that lets pressure out and not in. you are right about what he needs to do though. run open lines from the black box and from the valve cover to a vented, filtered catch can and optionally a third line to a slash cut in the exhaust or pre-turbo intake.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
517 Posts
You trust a plastic check valve? I wouldn't.
Plus even if the check valve is working perfectly, you will still get oil in the intake. The only reason they do this to engines is to burn off the vapors, so they don't hurt the earth. Fuck the earth.
On any performance engine, ditch the crank case hose going to the intake, find a vacuum source else where.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
As Bryan mentioned, replace the PCV valve in the black box with a 1/4" NPT fitting. Head to Lowes or Home Depot or Autozone and get a 1/4" NPT threaded fitting with a 3/8" hose barb on the other end. The PCV valve is 1/4" BSPT, but NPT is close enough for this.

Then follow the other instructions in the thread. One black box to catch can, one from VC to catch can, another outlet port on catch and stick a filter on it. Running it to the exhaust or turbo inlet creates to much suction and does not allow fresh air into the crankcase, and is a rather large pain in the ass.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'd start with a compression test, then leakdown. If it checks out, then follow the steps here to make a catch can. In my experience, vaccuum driven setups (like vac-u-pan) seem to yield the best results for boost setups.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts