Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this morning i had dropped off some parts to go into my build, which included a set of standard size vitara's and some eagle rods.
i just got a call from my builder and hes telling me that the clearance to the cylinder wall is too small! its something like 0.003 off from what it should be, if i installed these then i would be getting a rattle in the engine.

has this happened to anyone before? anyone wanna trade me for a set of oversized vitara's??? :p
what are the benefits of going with an oversized pistons anyways?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
You really dont want to go with the 76 vitara's on a boosted engine unless its sleeved because boring the stock sleeves out that much will weaken them...I'd look for the 75.5 vitara's...

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
this has been known since day one i believe. they will be fine.

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this has been known since day one i believe. they will be fine.
really? i never read that in my reasearch. so this wont pose any future problems if i install and boost with them? how bad would the rattling be?

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey this maybe a dumb ? but what is FJT? I thought you could get the vitara pistons off ebay?
FJT is a member on here an H-T.com, i think he was one of the first guys to run the vitaras in a honda, someone correct me on that if im wrong. he also sells the pistons.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX Si
146 Posts
i thought the ones FJT sold and OEM vitaras were different?

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
From what i've read you can run the 75 pistons and be fine...there will just be some piston slap when the motor is cold...nothing that should cause any damage...dont quote me on this though, as i'm not sure what the tolerances are or need to be.

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
From what i've read you can run the 75 pistons and be fine...there will just be some piston slap when the motor is cold...nothing that should cause any damage...dont quote me on this though, as i'm not sure what the tolerances are or need to be.
just need to let the motor warm up:TU: dont be stupid when its cold

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,375 Posts
your right... they will be fine...
i mean if they are fine for whats his face running 400-450 whp then im sure they are ok for just about anything

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Vitaras are a partially half-assed-ghetto setup. So if you're not liking that maybe you should pick another piston.
haha ya for their price i guess it would constitute as ghetto, but if you guys say its still reliable then i think ill save myself the trouble and go ahead with the build .

will the piston slap be detrimental to the engine overall in the long run?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.