Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically I've been getting on a kick lately of trying new forms of alcohol. No, I don't want to hear about your special daiquiri or the fact that you can kill a case of Natural Light in one sitting. I want some manly drinks, what kind of odd beers have you been trying? Wishkey's? Scotch's? Bourbon's? Heck, I'd even go for some good Wine at this point.

Basically, I'm trying to expand my pallet. I fully realize that this might fall flat on it's face but I'm cool with it. Just wanted to see what's out there.

Beer's that I've tried that I like:

Highland Brewing Gaelic Ale:

Outstanding amber ale.

Back Forty Beer Company Truck Stop Honey:

Lastly, Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout:

Stuff looks like black death in a glass and has 9% alcohol (compared to 3% on the average Budweiser), it's just about the most expensive thing I drink but MAN it's good!

As far as harder alcohol's, all I've really tried lately is Wild Turkey 101. Bit harsh but not bad.

Suggestions/comments/emotional outbursts.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Boddington's

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Think Guinness in a pale ale.

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
Yeah boddingtons is good. I'm not really a fan of Guinness but I like boddingtons and it's a similar style.

In cans right now I have some New Belgium "Shift" lager and some "Henninger Bier". In bottles I have Firestone Walker "Solace" (I'm in a light summer beer type of mood).

(not my pictures)

·
Registered
840 Posts
shit awebb give me a few days i'll give you a list of some REALLY good and on the cheap side red and white wine, do you have anything you really don't like? i have a huge list at home/work i try new stuff everyday at work

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^To be honest, I've only found a few beers I really dislike. Abita Amber and Red Bridge are the only two that come to mind. Other than that fire away!

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Two of my favorite beers right now.

If you wanna try something really different, go to the asian market and grab your self some Filipino beer.

the original

the stronger of the two

If you really trying to get fucked up and don't give a fuck about taste.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was looking into some good affordable "scotch's" and that one keeps coming up, gonna have to try that next pay day.

I've always been a Killian's fan and the rest of everything posted looks SOOOOO good!

·
Registered
1997 Civic LX sedan
22 Posts
Beer is more my thing, and there's a lot of great craft brews out there (and a lot of bad ones, too). Do you know what type you normally like (ales, IPA, stout, etc.)?

I'm a big fan of Oskar Blues' line of canned beers, which I would imagine you should be able to find in AL. Dale's Pale Ale is a good intro to their line, which drinks smooth but has a mature flavor. They also have a pilsner called Mama's Little Yellow Pils, which is also delicious, but is a better jump into the world of craft brews if you typically drink mainstream beer. They'll also make short runs of Gubna, which is tremendous and flavorful, but pricey.

You may want to also check out 21st Amendment's line of canned beers, too. Back in Black is a black IPA that has a rich, bitter flavor, but you could easily drink six at a time. Hell or High Watermelon isn't exactly "manly", but it's a fun, summertime-picnic kinda beer. You probably wouldn't want more than two at a sitting, though.

I'm also a fan of California beers, as I find the hops they grow there seem to have a less "green" taste than in other parts of the country. Lagunitas brews some great beers that should be readily available to you. Stone makes a line of great brews, and their Oaked Arrogant Bastard ale is one of my favorites when I can find it. They also make a Russian Imperial Stout that is potent taste, but goes amazingly well with chocolate cake. Sierra Nevada also has some wonderful brews (not the typical green label one), especially if you go up to the large bottles. Their Celebration Ale is usually delicious.

Personally, I think German beer is completely overrated, and their brewing laws prohibit it from evolving into modern-tasting beers. I'm also not much on Belgian beers, due to the flavors. But again, that's just me.

If you're into whiskey and such (I'm not a huge fan), look around for beers that have been conditioned in bourbon barrels. The beers tend to leech out the bourbon flavor, so you get a strong tasting-beer with a lot of bourbon aftertaste. Not really my thing, but there are a a lot of them out there.

As for cocktails, no one will look down upon you for enjoying a Mojito on a hot day. During the winter, I enjoy a Tangueray and tonic, which smells like Christmas trees. Also, don't fall into the "manly" thing of ordering single-malt scotch. The rest of the world knows that the blended ones have a much better taste, but Americans seem to think it's cooler to drink single-malt ones for some reason.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Corolla
272 Posts
Delicous pretty bitter 8.3% alcohol

Delicous bitter again

Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen, Pale Ale, and IPA all good

Hanger 24 (local brewery) Orange wheat

Hanger 24 Pale ale

Hanger 24 Alt Bier Ale

Kona brewery all good, the one on the far right is Passion fruit beer. Different but they made it work good.

Pyramid Barleywine, if you know how this is made. It gives it a distinct flavor . It's so so for me

Have plenty more, just dont want to find them all lol

·
Registered
840 Posts
Delicous pretty bitter 8.3% alcohol

Delicous bitter again

Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen, Pale Ale, and IPA all good

Hanger 24 (local brewery) Orange wheat

Hanger 24 Pale ale

Hanger 24 Alt Bier Ale

Kona brewery all good, the one on the far right is Passion fruit beer. Different but they made it work good.

Pyramid Barleywine, if you know how this is made. It gives it a distinct flavor . It's so so for me

Have plenty more, just dont want to find them all lol
haha i've tried most of them but on another know the flying dog brewery is like an hour from me i did a tour it was fucking awesome all the guys there love their job, ever batch is different in some way all the reciepces are put together by the brewers and has so much care in it its amazing.

they all love what they are doing and to put in prespective how small they are their total amount shipped out for customers is less than what like the miller company throws away in one year
ever recipce is mesaured by hand before it made most of the work is done by hand its pretty crazy and the story behind all of it was even better

1 - 20 of 64 Posts