Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced my headgasket and now if i get on it the car bogs. Im thinking cam timing is off but at TDC the intake valves are closed and the exhaust valves are just about closed. Then just after TDC the intake valves start to open. That happens for all cylinders. My question is at TDC shouldnt the intake and the exhaust valves be shut when the car is at TDC?

·
I like to mouth off
658 Posts
it was a joke from a previous thread...but failed miserably...... some kid was complaining b/c his cam gear was 180 degrees off....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was a joke from a previous thread...but failed miserably...... some kid was complaining b/c his cam gear was 180 degrees off....
Oh but yea this is starting to scare the shit out of me because i hear "scraping" sounds coming from my engine and the car runs but just it runs real shitty. Any ideas?

·
I like to mouth off
658 Posts
does it act like it's starving for fuel, have you checked oil pressure, when does the scraping sound happen, and does it get louder/ more agressive when the engine revs

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does it act like it's starving for fuel, have you checked oil pressure, when does the scraping sound happen, and does it get louder/ more agressive when the engine revs
Im pretty sure the scraping sound is coming from some pulley (AC, PS one of

the two) Im low on power steering fluid so i think thats the sound but

anyway my oil pressure is good the fuel is good I think i must have put a

larger headgasket making my compression lower then before and so my

ignition timing might be off and not my cam because i advanced and retarted

the cam timing with little to no help so perhaps a compression test or maybe

a leakdown test will let me know whats going on.

·
Registered
A space ship
628 Posts
Move the distributor around a bit, see what happens. Id say your off a tooth on the belt but you said you moved it... Try the leak down first. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Move the distributor around a bit, see what happens. Id say your off a tooth on the belt but you said you moved it... Try the leak down first. Best of luck to you.
Yea i advanced and retarted the cam a bit but no luck.. Im going for a compression to see whats going on and then if that doesnt come out good a leak down is in order

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts
I don't mean to thread jack but I have a similar issue. I just changed my headgasket and at first the cam timing was off but I think I fixed that. The car is running now but it is ticking really loudly, I still have the cover off of the belt so maybe that is contributing to some of the noise? Do I Just need to adjust the valve clearances and maybe that will fix it or is there a bigger problem? It is also idleing at 2k even when it is warmed up...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts