Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I started to rebuild my z6 a few weeks back after throwing a rod in the one I had in my car originally.

I was running a stock z6 with rebuilt head and tranny on 6psi daily, an one day on the highway I down-shifted into 4th and the middle part of the rod shot thru the back of the block and hit the firewall...

So my question is apprx what hp will oem rods an pistons hold and be "reliable"?(I use this word lightly, considering I've had two boosted hondas and both took a sh!t on me)

I've been doing a ton of research here an there, google, honda-tech, you guys... and cannot decide if I should spend the money on I or H beams and vitaras simply for the fact that I'm trying to keep my spending under or around 600....

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
did you dyno your set up? how much did it make?

I'd say about 10hp less than it was making lol

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Blowing up on a downshift blip has nothing to do with what power it's making, or the tune.

It was just that motor's time to go. Most likely was low on oil, and rod bolts not up to the task of a quick rev.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers!

I did search "d16 rebuild", "vitara build", "hp stock rods","oem piston"

Anyway the rod broke in the middle not anywhere near the rod bolts...

Also it was never tuned professionally it was tuned on chrome but by the dude who built the engine which wasn't me

I traded my 98 teggy gsr/ with b16 head on 8psi straight up for this guys 93 civic...

Now I just want to do this thing right and I have all the oem parts already, but I don't know if I should spend wat I have on building the bottom end since it detonated, the head was just rebuilt and is still in great shape....

Thanks for your guys help.

·
Registered
334 Posts
my guess would be it had everything to do with the " TUNE " which was prolly just a crappy base map ( which from what i've gathered you do not wanna beat on at all ). you didnt include enough info about your setup for anyone to really be of a big help....
also your not searching any of the right keywords together.
IF you were to buy a used z6 block in good condition you'd spend about 100-200 roughly ( thats just an estimate could be less could be more ) you could run 250ish whp on stock internals with a GOOD TUNE ( an actual tune done by someone who knows what they are doing ).
try searching with proper key word matching you'd be amazed how much you can learn when you search the right way... good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay ill try searching again thnx... oh and I bought a complete z6 used that's in decent condition

Btw here's my setup:

Z6 block an head
Skunk2 pro series intake mani
Gsr TB
Walbro 255
RC 440's
Aem fuel rail
Aem fpr
Aem adjustable cam gear
Log style turbo mani
Dsm turbo an BOV
Internal gate
Z6 trans fresh rebuild
Msd blaster coil
Ngk plug wires
Chipped on chrome
Aem wideband
2.75in custom exhaust
Ported head
lightweight flywheel
Exedy stage 3 clutch
Short throw
Ebay IC
Fluidyne aluminum rad.

I think that's it....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Btw here's my setup:

Z6 block an head
Skunk2 pro series intake mani
Gsr TB
Walbro 255
RC 440's
Aem fuel rail
Aem fpr
Aem adjustable cam gear
Log style turbo mani
Dsm turbo an BOV
Internal gate
Z6 trans fresh rebuild
Msd blaster coil
Ngk plug wires
Chipped on chrome
Aem wideband
2.75in custom exhaust
Ported head
lightweight flywheel
Exedy stage 3 clutch
Short throw
Ebay IC
Fluidyne aluminum rad.

I think that's it....

i bet it blows up again...considering your lacking one of the most important parts of a turbo setup that everyone has been talking about through this entire thread.:dots:

·
Registered
11 Posts
i think you should stop spending all your money on those power adders, go to borders read the book on engine management systems, then invest your money into your ecu and tuning equipment. pay someone to tune your car if your lost and ask them what they exactly are doing.

then tell us how your car is running. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright thanks again, I guess I didn't make this clear... I didn't spend anything on this car and I haven't put any money in it yet and yes I'm expecting a nice flame job from all of you for "buying an not building"... I just needed a car cuz I warped the head an block in my teg( lack of turbo knowledge)

So now I would like to redeem myself and build this right... and when you search forums its almost always arguements about who's right not what's the correct way to do it and I no everyone does stuff differently but I'm jus lookin for some simple advice from people with the correct knowledge in the right places, I wasn't expecting a grade A forum beat down

·
Registered
12 Posts
its not just about hp.. its about torque.. torque kills rods... once reaching its higest point.. its ardy been forced goin down.. never thought of it?

220 hp and 240nm is what a stock d16 piston & rod is 2 hold all day, when its tuned the right way... its just 1.3/4 cm in diamete.r.dont expect to much out of it.. even if some got more.. how long to they stress @ high rpm & high boost? .. not that long..

Just for example, even if its not a z6 pictur.e.its y7 and a4..

Stock z6 VS eagle

FJ Beam

Just think about being the stock rod.. u woudnt like the idea of being pushed beyoned the lmites..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thnx again...

I have the used z6 pulled apart in my garage and I've seen oem honda rods before anyway that is why this question came up, cuz they were soo small compared to all the aftermarket rods I've been introduced to...

So I'm lookin to put down more power but my budget is limiting me to only spending about 650 in total? Insight?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
fjt rods and vitara pistons is where it's at

that or watch the forums/ ebay for good deals

1 - 20 of 20 Posts