Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the topic said, I have some oem z6 and y7 pistons on the shelves.

Can it be a nice cheap setup for medium turbo application ? like under 300whp ? I really don't know much about oem hodna pistons and how they can handle boost. I know that rods are the first weak point, and secondo sleeves.

It will avoid me to overbore the block, buy vitaras pistons, well i'll save some hundreds of bucks that I can put somewhere else like in a good cluctch.

I tried some search about it, and never find mroe than 'vitara+h-beam' or stock block or blablalba...

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
IMO i think the pistons are the weak link. thats what went out first in my stock turbo setup, same as both my friends. #3 on all of ours. I know the sleeves arent. they can handle 400+ whp

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought they were weak because they handle too much comperssion for a turbo setup like 9.5+:1, where lower than 9:1 would be better.

I think I will invest a bit more and buy a set of first oversize vitara, and make the block oversized.

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
with all the cost of machining its really not worth it when you can buy a forged rod for so cheap now. vitaras us a floating wristpin. hondas are a pressed pin

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with all the cost of machining its really not worth it when you can buy a forged rod for so cheap now. vitaras us a floating wristpin. hondas are a pressed pin
I am machinist. I don't want forged rods, they are too heavy, LS rods can handle 95% of D setup. Bigger not always the better. Too much wight in rotation mass. I will bore the upper end of rods depending the pistons pressed or floating pin, I will adjust it when I choose the kind.

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have sourced LS rods for dirt cheap and machining brought the price lower than $200. So that and no notching is the only two benefits I see. Its a nice Honda part mod but I wouldnt do the stock pistons though.
Some people told me vitaras, or at least oem low compression, under 9:1.

No ways to hell I'll pay for forged pistons or rods. Overkill for my turbo setup, and waste of money under 300whp.

I think LS rods would do the job, and why they won't ? I've seen much stock LS block pass 300 whp.

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
I am machinist. I don't want forged rods, they are too heavy, LS rods can handle 95% of D setup. Bigger not always the better. Too much wight in rotation mass. I will bore the upper end of rods depending the pistons pressed or floating pin, I will adjust it when I choose the kind.
well if youre a machinist then go for it.
as far as rotational mass goes, i have no problem revving to 8 grand.
but yes the ls rods are good for around 300 hp with a good tune.

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well if youre a machinist then go for it.
as far as rotational mass goes, i have no problem revving to 8 grand.
but yes the ls rods are good for around 300 hp with a good tune.
Beefer rods are often much heavier. Heavier rods could make much wear in rod bearings, piston and rings on rotation side , cylinder side walls, and a bit harder on the cranck mains (but not the main issue).

But if you extend the idea of wear to worst cases or failures, the rods won't be the weakpoint for sure, but might be the cause of some issues like sleeve wall could crack, cylinder side ans skirt break or melt, or spin a rods bearing. It's an important stress added.

If they do titanium con rod for high rpm application, there is a reason. stronger and the lightier as possible.

If you can save some weight on the rotation mass, it will be better.

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hit up the vitaras. :D

not sure what other options you have for cast pistons at 75mm other than oem.
Olders supras pistons fits, but you have to use B16 134mm rods instead of normal 137mm like d or b18A/B or b20, because these pistons have pins to top a bit higher.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
4,639 Posts
i have ls rods if you need some hit me up.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
belette, u as ur own machinist is good.. should keep the cost down..

ive bin wondering about 1 set-up

a d15b, + b16a oem rods @ 134.36mm and arp rod bolts (theyre bigger than LS)
and vitara's , should sit below deck... not bad for turbo? hehe

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Curious George
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so why not the Ls Rods of the B18 and get some Vitara Pistons of Fj without Overbore??
All of my spare bottom ends are a bit worn and ovalised, I want to have them clean. Also, the stock size vitara piston are too small, If I remember, they have more than .010 of inche of clearance, it might works very well for a while, but not optimum, pistons ans cylinder wall will ovalised soon.

I'm watching for a set of 75.5 vitaras, and do the job right the first time.

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
11,260 Posts
All of my spare bottom ends are a bit worn and ovalised, I want to have them clean. Also, the stock size vitara piston are too small, If I remember, they have more than .010 of inche of clearance, it might works very well for a while, but not optimum, pistons ans cylinder wall will ovalised soon.

I'm watching for a set of 75.5 vitaras, and do the job right the first time.
Ok cool. Let's think about this. If you go with the Ls Rods and the 75.5mm Pistons, what would the Compression look like?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts