Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 Civic Hatchback DX and I just ordered new KYB Excel G struts. I thought that I'd like to replace/upgrade any bushings or other components while I'm at it. Outside of my DD'ing I make a monthly drive up Oregon's mountainous and twisty I-5. So, I'd like to improve handling where possible without stiffening ride too much, but I'm not sure where to focus my energy and money (I'm DIY). Where to begin for a solid suspension foundation before I consider an upgrade in engine performance later?

Things I'm considering:
Is it worth upgrading from OEM to PU bushings for an otherwise stock ride?
Are Excel G a solid option for if I decide to add performance lowering springs later?
What's your recommended sequence for building up suspension (what you do first, second, third...)?
Should I be thinking more about steering performance just yet? If so, where?

I greatly appreciate any guidance, thanks!

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,260 Posts
I'd start with poly bushings, possibly modify the trailing arm bushings by drilling 3 tapered holes in each side with a step bit to reduce the poly harshness in the rear, depending on chassis and weather or not you carry much weight in the back regularly, like a subwoofer, box, and amp or heavy tool box. The excel G pairs well with the eibach sport line springs which are a bit stiffer but still progressive, decent upgrade to performance without needing a kidney belt for a dd. Be sure to inspect ball joints, tie rod ends and the rack while you are in there. Any thing with play should be replaced with a quality part.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,260 Posts
That's what I personally run on my eg8, as I did on my ej1, they lasted about 7 years and 350k miles of beating them up, its time to replace them again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had about 4 EF hatches and 3 CRX's. Have used Skunk2,Eibach Sportline,and H&R Race (red) springs on them and liked the H&R race springs with Tokico blue struts the best. This was many years ago and I understand the Tokico blues aren't the same quality they used to be. For about the same price as a set of struts and springs you can get an entry level coilover like Truhart basic then you can set ride height to your liking. Both the Sportlines and Skunk2 were on OEM struts but the Sportlines were pretty comfy. Depends on your budget and what your goals are. I just did the ES trailing arm bushings last weekend and they definitely firmed things up. Sounds like you're on the right track good luck it's a fun chassis !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had about 4 EF hatches and 3 CRX's. Have used Skunk2,Eibach Sportline,and H&R Race (red) springs on them and liked the H&R race springs with Tokico blue struts the best. This was many years ago and I understand the Tokico blues aren't the same quality they used to be. For about the same price as a set of struts and springs you can get an entry level coilover like Truhart basic then you can set ride height to your liking. Both the Sportlines and Skunk2 were on OEM struts but the Sportlines were pretty comfy. Depends on your budget and what your goals are. I just did the ES trailing arm bushings last weekend and they definitely firmed things up. Sounds like you're on the right track good luck it's a fun chassis !

Thanks! Actually the Sportline is what I've had my eyes on so far. But, just discovered how old the tires are on this ride (lots of tread, but made in '08!). So, must replace them first. Already ordered the Excel Gs, got a great deal I didn't want to let pass. Feels good and I'm excited about the whole project.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts