Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much abuse can a oem d-series lsd trans take i'm planing a 300hp aprox. build, it will be run mostlly brackets at my local track so i don't have to leave hard just consistent thanks.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Um, there is a hona tunig article where this guy was making over 300 hp and he was running an obx lsd. Its really cheap too isnt it?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've heard their pretty weak. I've also heard people say go aftermarket for anything over 200 whp.
I'm not sure really, just regurgitating what I've heard. I'f you aren't launching the car, you may just be fine. I sold my factory diff I had lying around, and bought an OBX.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
I've exploded two oem diffs with only NA D15B7 power......

if you try 300 whp, it will hold as long as you sit there doing a smokey burnout.

First time it hooks, spider/side gears go KABOOM.

Like the old Fram filter commercial.......

you can pay a little now, or alot later.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts

if you try 300 whp, it will hold as long as you sit there doing a smokey burnout.

two open diffs or oem lsd's

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts

thats exactly why i nutted up and bought the OBX for my lsd build..............

but is he talking about open diffs or the factory lsd's that came in jdm models?

·
Registered
261 Posts
lol yea dont do what i did. things like to break. dont believe me?

and thanks to bone for 2+ years of flawless operation from one of his trannys, until shifting into third on wet roads, went clunk, then wewt!! teach me to run sticky tires :(

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
anyone ever try the Phantom grip setup???? Just curious

·
Registered
see above
4,259 Posts
do a lil search for that word. .... and it isnt refrerred to as Phantom slip for nothing. =). i think they are bones worst enemy.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Just thought i would ask... Got an Si Tranny welded for now anyway. Not in the car obviously

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Just remember the stock "LSD" is a viscous unit. I woulden't expect it to last long for any more than normal street use. For what they cost just get an OBX, if you don't trust those there's other options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts