Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 89 ef hatch with a 13g turbo on it.

in phoenix i removed the turbo system for smog, it was seeing 14psi (stock exhaust with alot of holes in it) I patched up the exhaust.

I then moved to california driving the car non turbo, i recently hooked up the turbo system (minus exhaust) and was seeing 14psi.

today i finished up hooking the stock exhaust back up and now it is only seeing 5psi.

my question is. is the exhaust that restrictive to choke the turbo down to 5psi? nothing was moved or bumped or disconnected.

I know i need a new exhaust. my issue is i dont want it extremely loud. I noticed while cruising up and down the street that even with no exhaust the turbo really restricted the noise. should i be able to use a generic (ef specific) exhaust and keep a reasonable decibel level with good flow?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also i am throwing a code 13 intermittently (pa sensor) is there any way to test the unit. it comes on every three or four time the car is ran.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The exhaust is definitely a restriction. And yes a generic exhasut at least 2.5'' would flow enough, and not be too loud depending on the muffler used

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i heard the "ed" term used the other day, and googled it and only came up with, hondas ed series motors, whats the difference between an ed and an ef? and how do i figure it out

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JHMED6356JS001291 is the vin number, so according to the hondaswap website it is an actual ef, not an ed, does that make any difference in value to the right people?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
JHMED6356JS001291 is the vin number, so according to the hondaswap website it is an actual ef, not an ed, does that make any difference in value to the right people?
Yeah it's an "ef" That's why it says "ed" :3dtard:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah it's an "ef" That's why it says "ed" :3dtard:

well posts above said that ed is usdm and ef is jdm, if you looked at that site it says that the first digit is the nation of origin 1 is us and j is japan

and ed6 4th through 6th digit identifies it as a 88 civic hatch 1.5
read below and you will see that there is no EF option code

4th Thru 6th POSITION, 1987-89
CAR LINE/ENGINE
BA3 = Prelude SI
BA4 = Prelude 2.0L
BA8 = Prelude
CA5 = Accord
CA6 = Accord coupe
ECI = Civic CRX
EC2 = Civic 1300
EC3 = Civic 1500
EC4 = Civic4 DoorSedan
EC5 = Civic Wagon
EC6 = Civic Wagon 4X4
ED3 = Civic Sedan 1.5L (1988)
ED6 = Civic Hatchback 1.5L (1988)
ED7 = Civic Hatchback 1.6L (1988)
ED8 = Civic CRX 1.5L (1988)
ED9 = Civic CRX 1.6L (1988)
EE2 = Civic Wagon 1.5L (1988)
EE4 = Civic Wagon 1.6L (1988)
EY1 = Civic Wagovan
EY3 = Civic Wagovan 1.5L

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
a usdm vin would be 1hm or 1hg depending on where it was built
Ok, Here goes. The EF was sold in the Japanese market only . If it was sold in the USA it is an ED. It makes no difference where it was made. Japan Canada USA it's still an ED. If you had an EF the vin would be ---EF----------1 not ---ED-----------1.

You can tell people it's a real EF if you want but, it's not because you would have to have imported it from Japan.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
unless i am reading this wrong, the first digit is the domestic market of sale, they use the term

NATION OF ORIGIN
and the options are
1 = USA
2 = Canada
3 = Mexico
J = Japan
K = Korea
V = France ,

J being japan (first digit of my vin)

second digit of the vin is identifying it as a honda (H)

and the third digit is the country the vehicle was made in with
M = Passenger Car, Built in Japan
G = Passenger Car, Built in USA/Canada

so if i am reading this correctly my car was built in japan and sold originally in japan

and nowhere on that website, does any vin combo make ef (so unless that site is for usdm vehicles only (please prove that if you can) then the way i am reading it I own an EF

·
Registered
967 Posts
unless i am reading this wrong, the first digit is the domestic market of sale, they use the term

NATION OF ORIGIN
and the options are
1 = USA
2 = Canada
3 = Mexico
J = Japan
K = Korea
V = France ,

J being japan (first digit of my vin)

second digit of the vin is identifying it as a honda (H)

and the third digit is the country the vehicle was made in with
M = Passenger Car, Built in Japan
G = Passenger Car, Built in USA/Canada

so if i am reading this correctly my car was built in japan and sold originally in japan

and nowhere on that website, does any vin combo make ef (so unless that site is for usdm vehicles only (please prove that if you can) then the way i am reading it I own an EF
If this is true, than my 97 civic was built and sold in japan too!!! Oh wait, my dad drove it off the lot in 97. From a honda dealership.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, good to know, thanks guys, just in case i came across as an ass i wasnt meaning to. just trying to get clarification

1 - 20 of 24 Posts