Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im only 17 and dont know a whole lot about cars. What i do know my family doesnt believe because well, im 17. Anyway i noticed after i got my exhaust put on that the puffs of air coming out of the exhaust arent nice and even they are really uneven. Its not missing its just running oddly. Also the air smells heavily of gas. My dad seems to think it needs to go to the shop. I think its just the o2 sensor or the plugs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
it is smells like fuel it could be blown O-rings, but I would look to see if you have a cat on there, if not.... I would get a high flow one.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i kept the cat when i had the exhaust done. Damn i was hoping it would be something easy and cheap to fix...

·
0 Posts
i had that sameproblem... what i did was wipe LOL ..im not sure but i realyl have that same problem... i think imgetting blow by though ..so thats a small problem

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats blow by and is it easy to fix? So no one thinks it might be the plugs/o2 sensor?

·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
F1R3ST0RM said:
whats blow by and is it easy to fix? So no one thinks it might be the plugs/o2 sensor?
blow by is when the air inside your combustion chamber leaks past your piston rings, usaualy by an eng. w/ high miles, improper matence, hard driveing, or boosting improperly

when the air leaks past your piston rings the air gose into your crank case under normal conditions the the stock egr takes care of this but often the boosted versions of our engines have upgraded this function or made a better ones

why is this not good, well b/c it can blowout/damage your rear main and or crank seal thus making it a bitch to replace and u leak oil evrywhere.
+other stuff like lost horsepower and stuff

but your problem could be other things also.....

·
0 Posts
thank you x292j LOL .. i was bowling last night and couldnt logg on LOL... thats how i bought my car the rengine was on its last leg LOL... bastard before me let it rot LOL

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive never had it tuned any differently. Maybe the timing could be off? I just had a distributor coil put on like a week ago. Could that have something to do with it?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
people please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New exhaust stink, just the varnish burn off.......

Also it has gotten cold in VA, cold idle is rich..........

I waiting for all the questions "Why doesn't my temp gauge go past 1/4 now"...........

·
This one's for you, Duck.
Wait, what?
2,304 Posts
transzex said:

I waiting for all the questions "Why doesn't my temp gauge go past 1/4 now"...........
Why doesn't it? :noway:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still have a cat. I made sure that the shop kept it. Also its not so much the smell...its the sputtering/rough idle. I just got some new plugs today and that didnt help. Maybe new wires? The smell isnt the varnish burning off unless the varnish is gas...

·
Registered
97 Civic CX Hatch
836 Posts
From your sig: Custom 2.25 inch Cat-back with Ractive muffler

Every car runs a little rough at idle...with the new exhaust, you're actually just hearing more of the individual pockets of gas being expelled...the stock muffler and resonator just help to cover it up...if you would have taken the stock muffler off and listened, you would have heard pretty much the same thing, I wouldn't worry about it, unless the rpm jumps around, or if you have to help the car idle by using the throttle...

About the smell, the piping, cat, muffler have to burn in...any varnish, cleaners, residue, or anything else in the exhaust will burn and come out as vapor...and will probably smell a little...put a few miles on it, and see if it clears up. My exhaust still smells, though, after over a year and a half of running it...and I'm pretty sure it's the cat...

·
0 Posts
transzex said:

Damn yours too!LOL :stupid:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
would it still pop and stuff while im driving it, not just at idle???

·
DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT
2003 Civic Si
3,003 Posts
POP???? Dats a misfire. I misfire on my Hatch all the time. Nothing to worry about, My new exhaust smelled for a few days so i wouldnt worry.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok cool...i just wanted to make sure there wasnt something really bad about to happen that i didnt know about.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts