Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a D16Z6. Pretty much completely stock and fairly well maintained.

About a year before this issue started occurring I replaced the oil pump with a OEM spec pump.

During the installation of the pump we decided to add an analog oil pressure gauge, one where you actually run an oil line inside the passenger compartment to the gauge.

About a year after the oil pump was replaced I started noticing that I was running low pressure while driving down the interstate. I stopped and checked the oil and everything looked fine. Start the car back up and the pressure looked good. Get back on the interstate and still the pressure was good. On average I was seeing about 12-15 psi per 1000 rpm. So I thought that I must have been mistaken. About 5 or 10 minutes later I notice that the pressure is down to about 10 psi at 3500 rpm. Pull over to the side by the time I stop I have 0 pressure and the oil light is flickering on the dash so I kill the engine and coast to a stop. The engine never made any funny sounds or anything like that. Out of curiosity I start the engine again and the pressure looks fine.

Long story short.

I have changed the oil and filter at my garage just to be on the safe side. I believe I even mixed the lucas oil additive in with the new.

While the car is cold the oil pressure is right where it should be at about 60 psi regardless of throttle position. I have tried this while driving and while letting the car warm up in a parking lot.

It doesn't matter if it is sitting idle or driving down the road. If it's still cold the pressure is fine. Once it warms up I have about 10 minutes before the pressure will slowly drop to 0. I watched this while someone else drove and at a steady 3k rpm the pressure drops from 30-40 psi all the way to 0. Once the drop starts you can change the rpm all you want with no increase in the pressure. Once it's at 0 nothing you do will produce pressure again except turning the car off and starting it again. We even tested this theory though I don't recommend trying it. Once the pressure dropped to 0 we went to neutral and turned the key off completely. Waited a few seconds and turned the car back on and the oil pressure will return; for about 5 or 10 minutes.

We have tried a bunch of things to fix the issue and nothing seems to help. Even removed the VTEC solenoid and created a plate to block the ports and that accomplished nothing except making the car less fun to drive.

Any suggestions? We are thinking we need to replace the main bearings and maybe the oil pump again.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
When you say OEM spec pump what do you mean?

Also are you sure you don't have a faulty gauge or connection somewhere. 0 PSI at higher RPM's would damage your motor for sure, wouldn't take long.

Of course you can always take the pan off and inspect the bearings without removing the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By OEM I mean that it was designed to be a direct replacement for factory but it's not made by Honda and it's not designed as an upgrade in any way. Bought it at a local auto parts store.

The same time that the gauge goes to or near 0 is the same time that the factory oil light on the dash starts to come on. Not ruling out a bad gauge but the the oil pressure sensor for the dash light would have to be bad in the same manner.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Either the pick is clogging or oil isnt draining back from the head properly. Assumming you are using a mechanical gauge. Cold start psi should be 80-90 psi.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
get an oem oil pump and try again. clean the pick up and use a new gasket. pan dented?

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
It's either a restriction or a leak. When the oil is cold/thick, it will naturally create higher pressure. Then as it get to operating temp, there isn't enough oil pumping vs the volume needed to maintain pressure.

A friend had a low pressure issue, and while pulling the pan to change the pump he noticed a wad of dirt in the pickup screen. Not sludge, actual dirt w/grass. However sludge or bearing flakes could fall off when the engine is off but eventually get sucked into it again while running. If that doesn't help you will want to check the clearance on the oil pump gears, as well as see if the relief spring is blocked or stuck open.

First I'd check the pickup screen then pull out & inspect the relief spring. If all is well, shim it and try again. If that doesn't help then it's time to pull the oil pump, check bearings, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts