Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some researching, and i cant find anything about this leak so i joined here, i have repaired every leak on the engine trans but this, ive already replaced valve cover gskt, dizzy o ring, and clean and after inspecting i have one last leak and it baffles me, it is the top front bolt where engine and transmission mate together, i do know some bolts require sealant on alot of cars but dont know if this one requires it,the car is an 88 crx si d16a6 when i figure out how to show a pic i will

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
This is what you have to do. No cheating or else it wont work.

Get 6-10 cans of brake clean. And one can of engine degreaser.

Degrease the area, two or three times. Scrub if you have to.

Brake clean it, till its 100% clean and dry of oil.

Start the car, let it idle, wait, and watch.

Oil does not go up. So find the highest possible point you can see any oil. Use your fingers to feel for oil. Dirty used oil is easier to see.

Isolate the highest point you can find, and use simple logic. Just because a gasket is new doesnt mean its not going to leak. Keep that in mind as well.

Put in work my friend and enjoy.

Edit; sometimes it just wont leak at idle because the leak happens when oil sloshes around. If so, take it for a super short drive, and pull over and check. Rinse repeat. Get a high quality LED flashlight to use to help you.

If you still cant find it, get a UV dye pack and use a UV light and some yellow safety glasses to help you. UV lights can be hard to find tho. I got one from an old school chip eraser I used to use like 10 years ago!

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Oil will travel up, just so you know. It depends on where the leak is, amount that is leaking, what kind of leak and direction of air travel. Your logic would fail to find the most common leak in a V6 honda engine.

None of the transaxle bolts require sealant when installed. Your engine had or has an oil seep, so no idle and watch. If the affected area has already been cleaned once, its best to add dye at this point. Are you sure the distributor housing inner shaft o-ring didnt fail? Take off the distributor cap and look at the bearing.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I guess its a good thing he has an a6?

Be nice dude I dont wana make you leave the site again. lol

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
Deep clean with simple green. Then baby powder the area.
When it leaks it will make a nice thick trail to follow.
But the only thing i can think of would be :
hg, vc, dizzy oring or dizzy if self.
Not to many oil spots around there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts