Honda D Series Forum banner

Odd issue. (Bad ecu or chip?)

3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  SmokinD16A/Z6 
#1 ·
Long story short, ive been making adjustments to my tune successfully.
Socketed p28, tuning with Crome, burning with Moates Flash n Burn software.

When I start the car now it idles fine, then roughly 5 seconds later the cel kicks on and shortly after that, the car starts to sputter/die then catches itself and idles okay for another 5 seconds before sputtering/dieing again. Jumping the service connector gives me no codes. Ive reburnt 2 different chips, 2 separate times with no change.

I have had this happen before but i believe after reburning the chip it was fine. I am inserting the chip with the notch side facing the ecu connectors.

Many say the ecu is fried. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

#4 ·
W/o knowing anything else, I'd think it could be the CKP/CYP daughter boards in the ECU (the two that attach vertically). I got an ecu for free that ran in limp mode, although permanently & gave code 4, worked perfect after replacing the right board for the CKP.

It could also be a faulty IC4 octal latch, intermittently switching off some of the memory access circuits to the Crome EEPROM chip. Usually it's a solid cel & caused by poor soldering of IC4 or the chip socket.

#12 · (Edited)
Heres the ecu images.

I reflowed the solder joints for the socket and tried again with no difference. =(

I was really looking to tune this thing this weekend.

Attachments

#15 ·
NEW DEVOLOPMENTS

Using a known good ecu and a brand new chip the car does the same thing.
Starts, cel kicks on after 5 seconds, then I hear what sounds to be the main relay click and it stalls out.

#16 · (Edited)
Ok well...
Digging in somewhere I see that my file size for my current map is slightly larger then what Moates says it should be. It is 32,829 vs 32,768. They say it should be EXACTLY 32,768.

I have no idea how the size changed...

I burned the stock z6 map and the car runs and idles fine, no more weird issues.

Any advice guys?

#20 ·
Well, i selected disable vtp and vts and no issues, also disabled the iacv and no issues. So far its back the way it was. Having a hard time knowing if vtec is engaging or not. The solenoid clicks with 12v applied. I pinned the spot on the ecu harness for the vtp and jumped it like ive read to do. However, above 5k the motor just seems to be very flat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.