Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 LX D16y7 manual. I'm going to install a D16y8 intake manifold and a D16y8 Throttle Body complete swap. Also a DC sport 4-2-1 header. Now I have a ODB-II ecu, I see that I cant have that modified. Is this true? If I can, what ecu is recommended? If I can't, should I just Flash my current ecu? :? Thanks gang

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh and my car is non-vtec and i plan to keep it that way. So i do need a p28 ECU and OBD-1 conversion because I'm putting on the d16y8 intake mani and TB on my D16y7 correct?

·
Registered
371 Posts
You would need to go with a Y8 head and a vtec controller to get vtec.

And no, you don't need to chip it with those mods. You can, and it certainly wouldn't do the car bad, but you don't have to. Best to do it is with an FI installment or after a big build.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Actually, Inline-Four can reprogram early 96-98 OBD-IIa ecu's. Don't worry about changing your ecu. Just run what you have.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i don't plan on going vtec, you can only do so much with it, and you'll have to keep tuning it after certain upgrades. I plan on going turbo with non-vtec. Keppin it simple. And yea i just talked to a buddy of mine, he said i dont need the OBD-I conversion. We learn something new everyday!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nah all u have to do is extend the wires, cause of the the new placement of the y8 TB. I mean im paying 50$ for the y8 intake mani and the TB....might as well get both

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure on that...I haven't gotten the parts yet. I'll let you know what happens when i do. Tomorrow i hope.

·
Registered
255 Posts
use your y7 TB with extended wires or get an automatic y8 TB and I/M. Either way is cool. If you use your y7 TB on a munual y8 I/M you will have to make a block off plate for the old IACV holes. Or fill the holes with JB Weld or similar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts