Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, i fianally got my lsd in the mail today. I am going to install it here in the next few days with the person who is helping me build my motor.

Neither of us have done an lsd install, the most we have done as far as honda transmissions goes is replaced my isb. I know if we can do the isb replacement, then we can do the lsd, but it would be very nice to have a specific write up on exactly how to shim it and where to check for correct clearances to make sure the shimming was effective.

I already did a search here and i found nothing about the actual install process, with a step by step.

So please, if anyone has a link or a write up with some good info, please posts it.

thanks in advance for any help

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
Id like to know on this too. I just ordered the same OBX LSD and will be running into the same trouble, might just let a shop do it.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id like to know on this too. I just ordered the same OBX LSD and will be running into the same trouble, might just let a shop do it.
i know that i can do it. I just want to know the exact process of shiming and checking for clearances to now that i shimmed it correctly.

thanks

·
Registered
91 sedan
2,259 Posts
ill have my tranny done in a few weeks...

zc 3rd & 4th, 4.43 with the obx.

should have a pretty nice writeup...

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
this will be very nice info.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if possible i need to get this info by tomorrow. I will continue to search the internet, but if someone knows of where a write up is, could you please let me know?

thanks

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn man, great link. Thanks alot that helped out alot.

Is the kaaz the same thing as an obx?

also, i shouldnt run into the problem with the bearing like he did should i. Doesnt the d-series use ball bearing already?

Also, does anyone know if that will be the only bearing that i should get replaced for the install? Or could i just press it off and reuse it?

thanks

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
Whats wrong with the factory manual that is stickied at the top of this forum???

Use new bearings, then you have to think about the speedo gear. Are you gonna buy one or try to remove your old one?

Speedo gear is $18, bearing splitter is $20, but access to a 20 ton pressis needed ($200) along with 1 5/8" socket to press the bearings on.

Snap ring pliers are $20-30.....yaddayaddayadda......really adds up.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That write up on h-t was very nice. It worries me about the washers though. It also seemed like that guy had alot more problems with his than noted by other installers. Transzex says not to take them apart or worry about the washers, instead just make sure the bolts are tight and put it in. That would make my life easier, and since he has installed somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 obx lsd's like that, with no issues, i think that would be the best route. Any responses to that? Would anyone else take theirs apart and get different washers/rearrange the washers?

thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know about the diff.. but when you're installing a diff..

Just take your tranny casing off, take out the reverse fork assembly, etc.. take out the mainshaft and countershaft (they should slide right out with a slight tap from a rubber mallet). and after you get that out the differential is right there. just get new ball bearings from Honda.. reassemble the LSD (final drive, put on the speedometer drive gear, and the ball bearings). BE SURE you put on the bearings correctly and they're completely flat because you can cause some damage. From this point just work in reverse order.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
I tried to take one of the early OBX's apart, namely the one I built of Blundar who runs PGMFI.org.......

The 6mm bit was twisting and before I broke it I said I'm not gonna chance fucking up this item. It is a "hands-on" art of knowing when a fastener is failing.

BTW, if anyone here understood the TORSEN (TORque SENsing) diff you'd understand that preload is not a issue.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
But what if you (I) have a diff with broken washers in it or anything.
Isn't it better to be safe then sorry? It's not you I don't trust Mista, it's OBX...
I'm just worried that there might be something wrong with it, that might be avoided by opening it.

When you check that the fasteners are torqued down properly, do you just do so by feel?
How much should we who are more amateurs than you torque it to?

And how do you go about the ring gear bolts? Do you grind down the edges of the head to get them into place?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
That write up on h-t was very nice. It worries me about the washers though. It also seemed like that guy had alot more problems with his than noted by other installers. Transzex says not to take them apart or worry about the washers, instead just make sure the bolts are tight and put it in. That would make my life easier, and since he has installed somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 obx lsd's like that, with no issues, i think that would be the best route. Any responses to that? Would anyone else take theirs apart and get different washers/rearrange the washers?

thanks
i would assume that OBX sets the correct preload on everything from the factory...

just check torque and throw it in

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried to take one of the early OBX's apart, namely the one I built of Blundar who runs PGMFI.org.......

The 6mm bit was twisting and before I broke it I said I'm not gonna chance fucking up this item. It is a "hands-on" art of knowing when a fastener is failing.

BTW, if anyone here understood the TORSEN (TORque SENsing) diff you'd understand that preload is not a issue.
i would assume that OBX sets the correct preload on everything from the factory...

just check torque and throw it in
thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts