Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its a controversial issue. Mine has been sitting at home all week, and I just got home from school for winter break, so I opened up the box. Impressions:
Though its obvious its a peice of shit, the question is will it work?
One one the allen bolts that holds the case together is broken. the head has disapeared, and they left me a nice present in the case to drill/EZ out. Great quality control OBX, thanks dudes.
When I shake it, it makes jiggly noises, but I;ve heard lots of people say that about theirs. Maybe its normal, maybe the washers are not in proper order. I will be disassembling it, and reassembling it with proper hardware, as well extracting that little gift they left me.
Its obnoxious, and extra effort, but if it works well, it still saves me 500 bucks over the quaife. (which was very nice when I installed on in my friends GSR)
I'll update in about 2 weeks when its installed in the shorty tranny.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
fix that bolt, make sure the washers are right, and it will work fine.

there are several guys putting 400+ through them with no issues...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fix that bolt, make sure the washers are right, and it will work fine.

there are several guys putting 400+ through them with no issues...
yep, my sentiments, thats why I was willing to drop 400 on it. I figured, odds are it will work, but will require fixing stupid quality control issues. (that pretty much sums up the experiences I've read.)

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
yep, my sentiments, thats why I was willing to drop 400 on it. I figured, odds are it will work, but will require fixing stupid quality control issues. (that pretty much sums up the experiences I've read.)
you should do a write up on the diassemble and reassembly of the diff.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
damn...one hell of a write up...booked marked!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
I'll bet you think that missing/broken bolt is just the alignment pin........notice the Quaife is the same way...sorry for the huge pic, but that was AFTER downsizing.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea transzex is right, I wasn;t gonna post when I realized after I took it apart and reassembled it, but I got called out, lol!

I deserve a break, i took an essay final, drove home for 4 hours, and have had like 10 hours of sleep in the past week! Thank god finals are over. (now im just pulling an all nighter since i have to be at the airport at 530 am for NY and DC.

·
Registered
949 Posts
excuses excuses :p

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
hun?! sooo, putting an OBX lsd into a 88-00 dx/si tranny it it balls down into the way you put your washer in it, and shimmy?
Enzo Speed said:
1. )))((( -or- ((())) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.35"
2. ))()(( -or- ())(() -or- )(())( -or- (()()) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.45"
3. ()()() -or- )()()( . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.50"

Reactions: MiloReaper87

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
mine works like a champ. and the previous owner has done over 100 passes on it at the track. hooks up beautifully. i think its the 2nd best mod on the car right below the turbo.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
don't fuck with the washers......they are installed a certain way for preload, a cheap way of shimming the internals.

Still have to shim the case/LSD......

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
don't fuck with the washers......they are installed a certain way for preload, a cheap way of shimming the internals.
So you should leave them as they are? Are you certain OBX know what they're doing...
I'm going to open mine up no matter, in case something is broken in there and what not.

Re-thread the bolt holes and so...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
Why???????

7 installs, all I do is make sure the bolts are tight, slap on a speedo gear, then bearings and shim for the case.

Might wanna ask Quaife UK about those washers......

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts

Why???????

7 installs, all I do is make sure the bolts are tight, slap on a speedo gear, then bearings and shim for the case.

Might wanna ask Quaife UK about those washers......
so everything is good in there huh? that makes me a little more comfortable since i will be running the obx.

but hearing people say they hear stuff rattling around in there worries me, but if its normal then its normal, ill just make sure the bolts are tight and go from there.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Why???????
Well, it seems like an easy job, gives a little more experience, and piece of mind.
After hearing about broken washers inside them and stuff, I would think I'm better safe than sorry...

I just don't think I trust OBX enough to just put it in there...
I don't know anything about this compared to you, so just want to get in there, check things out,
have some fun with it, and hopefully have a working LSD in the end. If it only arrives soon...
Been in the mail for many weeks now...

·
Premium Member
178 Posts

Can you please update and tell more about case shimming? Unfortunately it gives no results for "obx lsd" when I do search,but I remember I've read about shimming it with b18 oil rings or something..?!

What should be done to make proper shimming? Any mods to those b18 rings? I am complete tranny noob so I don't even know where to put those rings?

Any info would be appreiciated! :TU:
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts