Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quoted from OBX official site at

http://www.obxracingsports.com/performance.cfm?catID=3&subcatID=22)

OBX High performance racing headers are made out of pure SUS-304 stainless steel. Dyno tested at low end and top speed to increase 7~10 horsepower. Precision mandrel-bend to enhance exhaust gas flow. OBX Headers will fit OEM down pipe or OBX Cat Back Systems without modification. These 2 piece type headers are easy to install. Value-added bolt-on headers for any racing sport performance enthusiast. CARB exempt.

-Dyno Tested and Proven
-Direct bolt-on without modification
-T-304 Stainless Steel mandrel bend for ultra fast flow.
-CNC Machine flanges with TIG and MIG welded construction
-02 Sensor position
-Hardware included
-Lifetime warranty from manufacturer defects.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over all impressions with this 4-2-1 2 piece header on a 92 hatch with D16z6:

1. Fitment SUCKS, the angle of the header when connecting to the cat converter is off to the passenger`s side almost 2"s. For this to properly bolt in I had to move the converter a little to get it to bolt up.

2. Welds looked very lousy. I am by no means a pro welder, but I do recognize quality...nothing to recognize here. I`m just wondering how long it will last before it starts leaking. Speaking of leaking, the gaskets they include appear to be way too soft and fragile. I doubt they would last very long and I do expect them to leak over time.

3. Engine doesn`t sound that great with this header, as for performance I really doubt it adds any horsepower. I do believe it does flow a litte better than the stock D15b7 header I was using on the D16z6. No dyno sheets to prove it and I`ve yet to see this header dyno`d (although I have not done a lot of research).

You`re probably wondering why the hell I`d use this header? One of my friends gave it to me, so it was free. I really wouldn`t recommend actually spending money on OBX stuff.

After I get my clutch broken in I`ll take it to a dyno for some tuning (probably by the end of Feb).

·
Registered
290 Posts
yeah, i got the 4-1 setup,so far no problems but i can tell the top end power is much better, fitment wise-it was a bitch but its mostly because i didnt feel like taking the fan and radiator out and since its a 1 piece header,there wasnt much slack offered.so far, i happy with it but let time tell.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well I too just recently installed a OBX header, the 4-1 design. HatchDX-SI's review was dead on. Pics follow...

The set out of the box, the extra piece is my 'cat'. Yea fuckin right that thing is a resonator...

The header. Shiny huh??

The 'cat':

B-pipe

Header comparison:

Pipe comarison:

cats:

Pic of the B-pipe & cat not fitting. I ended up getting the connection welded together with a flex pipe.

I couldn't get the shit together without the bitch leaking so I took it to Meneike:

Finshed product:

And finally:

My impressions...power is negligible. I was so pissed off having to take the thing down to Meineke that I couldn't concentrate on a power difference, just the fact that this POS was leaking. Also when you first install and start it up with the header installed, it smokes and the smell is something fowl. It still smells some, but I imagine this will go away with time. The cat I have is pretty much worthless now, so I'll be selling that to anyone who wants it.

Also I'm hearing a high pitched electric sounding whine whenver I get on it. Is this normal?? I'm thinking its because fo the thinnger steel. Oh well.

I think this might be the last OBX product I ever pay for. :(

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
wow looks like a shitty 4-1 header style usaully the 4 pipes go longer that just looks like a good looking 88-91 dx manifold.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah guess what, my 4/2/1 header is leaking already. I have another exhaust mani gasket lying around i`m going to use. The gaskets that come with the head are total garbage (thick and very soft to make up for the crappy fitment).

I`m getting an apexi header and a cat-back as soon as I get my tax refund. :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this header sucks i put it on my friends d16y7...wow fitment was WAY OFF...we still havent managed to get it to fit right...alot of jerry rigging...oh well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts