Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
so now I am concerned. As you may have heard I have the 98 dx and I am swapping in a '00 ex engine in my car. I have the engine, tranny, ecu, and engine wiring harness, and aftermarket headers ready to go in. So, how am I going plug in my second (after the cat) o2 sensor? :(

problems, problems. And I thought this swap would be easy. Thanks for help!

· Cool User Title Here
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I thought it would be really easy too, but thorough research has led me to finding that the dash harness is needed to do the swap and give the car a factory look. If you are using the Y8 harness, you either must adapt the harness to include the second O2 sensor, or replace your under dash harness. As you may or may not have noticed, there is a rubber seal right about your catalytic converter that houses the connection for the second O2 sensor. This is where the interior harness connects up with. This dash harness is a very expensive item, but im letting it go for pretty cheap.

G

·
So how would I adapt my current set-up to agree with the second o2?
Reason I ask is I already have ALOT running off my current one like alarm and several accessories, and indiglos.

Is installation of the new one hard?

· Registered
394 Posts
It would be immensly easier, and much less time consumming to use an engine harness from a 96-98 Civic. You could just use your current harness, and add the wires for the Vtec, and make an extension to the 2nd O2 sensor wiring to reach the Vtec OEM location. Or you could get a 96-98 EX/Si engine harness and swap it onto your 00 engine.

The under dash harness is not garanteed to work. It is possible that Honda could have made changes to the under dash setup as well, and the 00 under dash wiring won't match up.

G

·
well, problem is I just bought a 2000 ex manual engine wiring harness. So, I think what I'm going to have to do is extend the wires from my second o2 sensor and somehow find the connector that plugs into the ecu and soder? the wires.

Or, what happens if you just dont use the second sensor? Does it affect performance? Bad situation.

· Registered
394 Posts
Return it. Sell it. You will not get the 00 engine harness to work with the 96-98 chassis harness. There are several differences. Too many. Trust me. This stuff is my business. This stuff is my life.

Buy a 96-98 engine harness. Period. Or mod your existing 96-98 CX/DX harness.

G

·
I had this same problem swapping a 98ex engine into a 96 dx. I wound up going another route and spent a lot of money doing it. I went with a 95 ecu and using a obdII to obdI conversion harness to eliminate the need for the 2nd o2 sensor. I picked up a little extra power with a different chip, but not enough for the cost of the ecu and harness. I wish I had found a chassis harness and went that way b/c the ecu was $150 and the harness was $125.
Just my $.02 worth.

G

·
Crap!!

I dont know if I can just use a 96-98 ex harness BECAUSE the engine is a 00 and arent there differences in those 2? Remember, OBD2a and OBD2b,

grrrrr

G

·
Ok dokey.

I hate to throw a monkey wrench in this....but I have a idea....

What if I buy a OBD2 > OBD1 conversion harness because I HAVE HEARD it gives better performance....and just uses ONE o2 sensor?

And nobody ever told me, what happens if the second o2 us not hooked up?

G

·
IF I do use the conversion to OBD1.. how does that give me better performance that I've heard of?

What about emissions testing? I think they are going to stop doing it around here anyway but just in case.

And do I need anything special for the conversion other than the harness adapter and a very good primary o2 sensor? Also that begs the question what o2 sensor? for a 95ex or a 00ex?

G

·
You do need the obdII to obdI harness, the plugs won't even fit otherwise. If you are to go this route I suggest the p28 ecu. I will give you contact info on for the guy I bought my ecu and harness from, he was very helpful ([email protected]). Before I swaped ecu's etc. I had all kinds of CEL's and problems. I haven't had a CEL since. Hope this helps.

G

·
crap

Wanna know why that sucks? I just bought a 00 ex engine wiring harness and ecu for $200. Guess I would need to sell now huh?

so you are saying I need a 92-95ex engine wiring harness and its p28 ecu?
Wait a minute...then why do they even make OBD2>OBD1 conversion harnesses for? I'm confused. ha, all this for a o2 sensor!

and if I do do this, is the skunk2 chip worth it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.